Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voluntary/community work

Options
  • 19-05-2018 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I was going to apply for the current requirement campaign, but I have not got any voluntary or community work. Apart from being a member of a local Macra club. What do people do in this situation?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bananaben

What about Special Olympics or similar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Bananaben wrote: »
    What about Special Olympics or similar ?

EDIT: I get what you're saying now, Voluntary experience with the S.O. is definitely something to consider. :)
    ____

Sorry how do you mean? I don't follow.

What I mean is that I have little volunteering/community work at present. Apart from the macra na feirme membership. I also help out a bit.

So, what I am kind of wondering, is if it is any good just putting down the Macra Na Feirme on my application. Then perhaps getting other voluntary experience between now and the interview? Just to be able to talk about both things.

Or is is the voluntary work that you do up to the application that only counts? As in, is any other work irreverent and not counted after I submit my application?

Thanks for the reply.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CheekJones

I didn't have any at all so your macra membership is plenty I'd say. I was pretty open about it, I even mentioned to the board that I was worried this would set me back. I did talk about other times that I helped people with things.

So going by myself as an example, voluntary work is definitely an advantage but not necessary and you already have more than I did. And as long as you have something to talk about at the interview then it would sure count even if you start after submitting the application.

CheekJones wrote: »
    I didn't have any at all so your macra membership is plenty I'd say. I was pretty open about it, I even mentioned to the board that I was worried this would set me back. I did talk about other times that I helped people with things.

So going by myself as an example, voluntary work is definitely an advantage but not necessary and you already have more than I did. And as long as you have something to talk about at the interview then it would sure count even if you start after submitting the application.

Thanks for the reply. That's perfect, yeah I guess you're right in about getting some community work after the application process/before the interview.

Can I just ask what stage you're at yourself?

Thanks again for the reply.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CheekJones

I'm from last years campaign. Had physical earlier this year and I'm meeting the super soon. I can almost see the end of it from here.

• Advertisement

CheekJones wrote: »
    I'm from last years campaign. Had physical earlier this year and I'm meeting the super soon. I can almost see the end of it from here.

Very good and congrats so far! Best of luck in the future! :)

Advertisement