Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I insured to drive girlfriend's car?

Options
  • 19-05-2018 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

sorry if in wrong place ,

My gf has fully comp insurance , im 28 with a full 10+ years

Am i insured to drive her car if needed ? ( i dont currently hold car insurance myself at the moment)

any help appreciated alot of people saying yes and no

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

You've no policy and you're not a named driver on hers?

I don't see how you could possibly be insured :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

pudzey101 wrote: »
    sorry if in wrong place ,

My gf has fully comp insurance , im 28 with a full 10+ years

Am i insured to drive her car if needed ? ( i dont currently hold car insurance myself at the moment)

any help appreciated alot of people saying yes and no

You have no insurance. How do you think you can be insured?

Are you a name driver on her policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

no not named driver thanks lads , im insured on my motorbike and am covered to drive other bikes so il get her to add me as a named driver cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Check her policy... she may have open drive where it might state over 25s with her permission are covered to third party as long as they are not her spouse and have a clean full licence.
    Have a look at the policy document. If unclear contact them for sure.
    Also if your living together they may consider you as her spouse for insurance purposes which as above can go against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s very unlikely she has open driving unless she asked for it.

• Advertisement

she has open insurance guys as alot of her family tend to use the car does that mean im ok or need to be added as a named driver ?

Edit : il get her to ring monday and go through it all with them :D cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

As per all "am I insured" threads, ... best to call either your or hers insurance company and clarify.

No point in asking us here, if it all goes tits up, you've no come back with us, but you do if the insurance company tells you that you ate covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

pudzey101 wrote: »
    she has open insurance guys as alot of her family tend to use the car does that mean im ok or need to be added as a named driver ?

Edit : il get her to ring monday and go through it all with them :D cheers
    It’ll be on the insurance cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

What a pointless topic, suggestion ; ring the insurance company and ask

thanks for opinions lads i have to drive a good distance tomorrow and bike wont start :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

People often confuse open insurance with them being able to drive other cars extension. The latter is commonly included with policies. The other is not. Best make sure by checking the insurance cert.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Check her policy... she may have open drive where it might state over 25s with her permission are covered to third party as long as they are not her spouse and have a clean full licence.
    Have a look at the policy document. If unclear contact them for sure.
    Also if your living together they may consider you as her spouse for insurance purposes which as above can go against you.

You are mixing up open drive and driving other cars.

Driving other cars is where you can drive someone else's car 3rd party only (with owners permission and not your spouse). This is provided by your own insurer.

Open drive is where a persons insurance covers anyone over 25 to drive their car. This will be fully comp and would cover spouses etc.

The second one is the one that the op would need his gf to have to enable him to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

mikeecho wrote: »
    As per all "am I insured" threads, ... best to call either your or hers insurance company and clarify.

No point in asking us here, if it all goes tits up, you've no come back with us, but you do if the insurance company tells you that you ate covered.

How come?

How come you do have any comeback if insurance company tells you over the phone?

What proof of that phone conversation have you got?

Whatever any insurer tells you over the phone is totally meaningless, as you have absolutely no proof they told you that.

I'd trust more any random boards.ie poster than insurance company phone helpline representative.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

CiniO wrote: »
    What proof of that phone conversation have you got?

'Calls are recorded for training and verification purposes' goes both way...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

grogi wrote: »
    'Calls are recorded for training and verification purposes' goes both way...

Significantly, it doesn't mention 'to help you in litigation against us' - there is no guarantee that they will have a recording of the call to help you if the call agent gave you wrong information.

And the message is almost always: 'calls may be recorded ....' so they can deny that your call was recorded in the first place.

I agree with Cinio and remember that the insurance companies remind us again and again that the contract of insurance is set out in the policy document, the cert. and the schedule they send you after very renewal. Which means that nothing that you are told over the phone can vary the terms and conditions of the contract.

So if you are not covered to drive before you call them, you won't be covered to drive after the call, regardless of what the agent tells you.

Which means there is no point in calling them.

coylemj wrote: »

Don't you have a recording function on your phone? All my phone calls with the industry are recorded and immediately backed up..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Significantly, it doesn't mention 'to help you in litigation against us' - there is no guarantee that they will have a recording of the call to help you if the call agent gave you wrong information.

And the message is almost always: 'calls may be recorded ....' so they can deny that your call was recorded in the first place.

I agree with Cinio and remember that the insurance companies remind us again and again that the contract of insurance is set out in the policy document, the cert. and the schedule they send you after very renewal. Which means that nothing that you are told over the phone can vary the terms and conditions of the contract.

So if you are not covered to drive before you call them, you won't be covered to drive after the call, regardless of what the agent tells you.

All calls are recorded by big businesses, they even record when you are on hold , they do it to cover themselves and with data laws they have to provide you with the call. Make sure that you get the person's name and note the date and time so they have no excuses when you request your data.

Del2005 wrote: »
    All calls are recorded by big businesses.....

No they are not. You can call lots of 'big' businesses who do not prefix the call with 'this call may be recorded..... '

in which case it's illegal for them to record the call.

Don't you have a recording function on your phone? All my phone calls with the industry are recorded and immediately backed up..

Nothing that a call agent says to you on the phone can alter the terms and conditions of the contract.

Read the policy document and your cert. and don't bother phoning them because what they say on the phone counts for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

If you are recording the call, you have to inform the person you are talking to about that. (Same as they are informing you).
    And once you mention to anyone in any insurance call centre that you're recording the call, they'll refuse to talk to you and disconnect.

And in the other hand afaik if you record a call without informing them, then you can't use that recording as a proof.

• Advertisement

CiniO wrote: »
    If you are recording the call, you have to inform the person you are talking to about that. (Same as they are informing you).
    And once you mention to anyone in any insurance call centre that you're recording the call, they'll refuse to talk to you and disconnect.

And in the other hand afaik if you record a call without informing them, then you can't use that recording as a proof.

No - nothing of such. They just need to be aware that the call is recorded. And they are...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No they are not. You can call lots of 'big' businesses who do not prefix the call with 'this call may be recorded..... '

in which case it's illegal for them to record the call.

I was replying to a person would said that the calls may be recorded, once you hear that then all calls are recorded.

It is not illegal to record a call once one of the parties agrees and you don't need to inform the other party, what you can do with the recording is a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I am open to correction,but if you are not a named driver and there is no open driving on a policy the only way you are covered to drive another car is that you have comprehensive insurance and the other car is also covered by comprehensive.Then with the owners consent you are covered to drive,but you get third party only cover.

I am open to correction,but if you are not a named driver and there is no open driving on a policy the only way you are covered to drive another car is that you have comprehensive insurance and the other car is also covered by comprehensive.Then with the owners consent you are covered to drive,but you get third party only cover.

Feel corrected. Comprehensiveness has nothing to do with Driving other cars extension...

I am open to correction,but if you are not a named driver and there is no open driving on a policy the only way you are covered to drive another car is that you have ....

... your own policy which covers you to drive other cars with the consent of the owner.

And if your policy is with Aviva or Liberty, there is currently a policy of insurance in force for the borrowed car, regardless of whether it covers you or not i.e. it can't a be a 'laid up' car.

As poster grogi said, fully comp. has nothing to do with it.

I was replying to a person would said that the calls may be recorded, once you hear that then all calls are recorded.

You were not replying to 'a person', you were replying (post #18) to me. Otherwise, why did you quote an entire post of mine above your two-line reply?
    It is not illegal to record a call once one of the parties agrees and you don't need to inform the other party, what you can do with the recording is a different matter.

You're playing some quare legal gymnastics there .... 'one of the parties agrees and you don't need to inform the other party'

How does that work?

What you seem to be suggesting is that I can phone someone, I 'agree' to myself ('one of the parties agrees') that the call will be recorded, I don't inform the other party ('you don't need to inform the other party'). And it's all legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

You're playing some quare legal gymnastics there .... 'one of the parties agrees and you don't need to inform the other party'

How does that work?

What you seem to be suggesting is that I can phone someone, I 'agree' to myself ('one of the parties agrees') that the call will be recorded, I don't inform the other party ('you don't need to inform the other party'). And it's all legal?

Del2005 is correct in what they say, one party consent is all that is required to legally record a conversation in Ireland.

GM228 wrote: »
    Del2005 is correct in what they say, one party consent is all that is required to legally record a conversation in Ireland.

'One party consent' is meaningless. In any context.

What you're saying is that one party can record a call without the knowledge of the other.

That is no consent at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

'One party consent' is meaningless. In any context.

What you're saying is that one party can record a call without the knowledge of the other.

That is no consent at all.

That is correct.

We have discussed it a few times over the years in the Legal Discussion forum.

Obviously where a business/data controller is concerned data protection needs to be considered by that party and that is why you get the "calls may be recorded...." message. ISPs/phone companies need your permission, except for technical storage of communications which is necessary for the conveyance of a communication without prejudice to the principle of confidentiality.

Otherwise the only illegal recordings you can make are in a court room of court proceedings without permission of the judge or a third party records a conversation they are not a party to.

• Advertisement

GM228 wrote: »
    That is correct.

We have discussed it a few times over the years in the Legal Discussion forum.

Obviously where a business/data controller is concerned data protection needs to be considered by that party and that is why you get the "calls may be recorded...." message, they need your permission, except for technical storage of communications which is necessary for the conveyance of a communication without prejudice to the principle of confidentiality.

Ok, I know you contribute to the Legal Forum and having checked other sources, I accept what you're saying.

But can we please stop using the term 'consent' when the regulations appear to allow one party to record a call with or without the consent (let alone knowledge) of the others involved in the call?

Advertisement