Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Imperator: Rome (Paradox)

• 19-05-2018 3:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Announced at PDXCon 2018, this is the next big grand strategy title from Paradox (Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings etc), and here's how they pitch it;
    "What we think of as 'western civilisation' was not guaranteed. Imagine Alexander's empire centralised under one successor. Italy might never have been unified under Roman rule, strangling a juggernaut in its cradle. A world without Caesar. Now you can explore these alternate histories in Imperator: Rome."

We're promised the most detailed map ever in a Paradox game, and you can see from the screen shot that it covers a huge area geographically;

unnamed__3_.png

Hopefully it'll have the depth of other Paradox titles. It's due sometime in 2019.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Great, another one of their games where I can keep buying the DLC but never play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pawrick

jcrowbar wrote: »
    Great, another one of their games where I can keep buying the DLC but never play.

I think I've spent more of paradox DLC than on all my other games combined. Will definitely be getting this game though, looks good & I'm getting tired of crusader kings 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Out today! Anyone picking it up? I won't, as my uni exams start in two weeks :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Out today! Anyone picking it up? I won't, as my uni exams start in two weeks :pac:

Ye picked it up....shouldn't have as I have a load on at the moment.... :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Ye picked it up....shouldn't have as I have a load on at the moment.... :o

I booted up Hearts of Iron 4 and Crusader kings 2. Quit right away. Both look horrendously complicated.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

I booted up Hearts of Iron 4 and Crusader kings 2. Quit right away. Both look horrendously complicated.

Yeah they take a bit of time to get the hang of them. I bounced off HOI 3 and EU3 multiple times, no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the hang of them. YouTube definitely helped me out in the end.

From experience all I can say is persevere, start with an easier nation and once they finally click there's very little else out there that can offer the same depth and replaybility.

Paradox grand strategies have essentially ruined all other strategy games for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Paradox grand strategies have essentially ruined all other strategy games for me.

Now there's high praise.

The tutorial sort of just left me there with pop up notes when I clicked something. I really love maps and if the political stuff is that good I might hunt for a guide on Youtube. I'd prefer a bit more handholding with such a complex title though the tutorial for my first Total War game, Rome: Total War was far from stellar.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

I've just gotten the hang of CK2 after taking ages and ages on noob island to get the hang of it, how does this game compare difficulty wise to anyone who's played it?

Now there's high praise.

The tutorial sort of just left me there with pop up notes when I clicked something. I really love maps and if the political stuff is that good I might hunt for a guide on Youtube. I'd prefer a bit more handholding with such a complex title though the tutorial for my first Total War game, Rome: Total War was far from stellar.

The tutorials are awful. I didn't even bother looking at the one for Imperator, I've been watching a few let's plays over the last couple of weeks, so have a bit of an idea what's going on.

I'd just start with whichever game has the most interesting setting for you and find a guide on YouTube. To be honest it won't take too long to get the basics down and after that your pretty much good to go.

I'm not sure how many would agree but I definitely found CK2 to be the most difficult to pick up.... Its probably my least played in fairness.

The tutorials are awful. I didn't even bother looking at the one for Imperator, I've been watching a few let's plays over the last couple of weeks, so have a bit of an idea what's going on.

I'd just start with whichever game has the most interesting setting for you and find a guide on YouTube. To be honest it won't take too long to get the basics down and after that your pretty much good to go.

I'm not sure how many would agree but I definitely found CK2 to be the most difficult to pick up.... Its probably my least played in fairness.

I did a quick google and CK2/Stellaris came up as the most noob friendly titles.

Not sure if I should go to the newest iterations of each line, ie HoI4 over 3 either. Might stick with CK2 or give HoI4 a go.

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »
    I've just gotten the hang of CK2 after taking ages and ages on noob island to get the hang of it, how does this game compare difficulty wise to anyone who's played it?

Hard to say at this stage, but as I said above I struggled with CK2, mainly due to the character focus aspect and inheritance.

It seems to be a mix of EU4, in terms of governing a nation, but character focused a la CK2, probably not as involved though.

If you managed with CK2, I can't see this being overly difficult for you.

I started with Rome and am following a somewhat historical path so far.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Some YouTubers to look out for who can maybe help learning Paradox games:
    Arumba, ASpec (he actually makes the official tutorials for Stellaris), Marbozir, PotatoMcWhiskey (if you want to support an Irish creator) and Quill18.

Having only recently taken an interest these grand strategy games, their complexity puts me off starting too, but I've watched a ton of content from the guys above about them cause it's long-form which I like and it's at a nice pace. I've played some Stellaris and it's not bad at giving you a curve of things to learn at the start so you can get to grips with it but the main issue I feel now is that all the tutorials out there have all of the DLC and I don't, so I might pick whatever I'm missing up when a sale rolls around.

Quill18 has a few tutorial series for HoI4 and CK2. Might look at that Irish lad if he's got something similar.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

He mostly focusses on Civilisation, but was a part of the Paradox streams promoting Rome ahead of the game's launch and he's said he's spent a lot of time playing their games, just not as content for his channels.

For a good understanding of what is happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I picked this game up today. In a fan of paradox and have played and enjoyed hearts of iron 3 & 4, crusader kings 2, stellaris and city skyline's but I could never get into Europa 4. Too much to learn for me with all the extra content added and I only picked it up not even 2 years ago.

Would you consider Rome to be more like Europa? I haven't really watched much to do with it and can't play until tonight.
    Now there's high praise.

Total war revolves more around reacting and paradox is more about planning. Of course both have elements of both. YouTube is your friend but if your like me, these days you have to decide between playing a game or watching someone play a game with your free time. Can't have have both! :P

killanena wrote: »
    I picked this game up today. In a fan of paradox and have played and enjoyed hearts of iron 3 & 4, crusader kings 2, stellaris and city skyline's but I could never get into Europa 4. Too much to learn for me with all the extra content added and I only picked it up not even 2 years ago.

Would you consider Rome to be more like Europa? I haven't really watched much to do with it and can't play until tonight.

Total war revolves more around reacting and paradox is more about planning. Of course both have elements of both. YouTube is your friend but if your like me, these days you have to decide between playing a game or watching someone play a game with your free time. Can't have have both! :P

Of all Paradox games, recent ones anyway it's closest to EU4.

I've put a few hours into it now, feeling fairly ambivalent about it to be honest. There just seems to be something missing, a lack of depth in things to do outside of conquering provinces.

There doesn't seem to be a noticeable difference no matter who you play as, all units, technology, ideas etc are all the same.

I think it's going to take some dlc to get this up to spec unfortunately.

I actually don't think I've tired of a paradox game this quickly.

killanena wrote: »

This is what's drawing me to it including picking up HoI4 replete with DLC recently and playing it once. Briefly.

Quill18 has a guide here though it is over 4 hours of video:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs3acGYgI1-v2rWyEDR8Mn3Avf9CxH1s1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

After about 30 hours of playing I'm already pretty bored to be honest. Very bland compared to their other games. I know they'll release more content as time gone but I'm not happy with what we got considering the price.

Darren (Republic of Play) has reviewed it. He runs a strategy game focused Youtube channel. Looks like a mixed review.

• Advertisement

Apologies for bumping this but I was wondering if anyone was sticking with it. The version 2.0 update has been released and I've seen a few Youtubers praise it highly. Anyone here given it a go? I'm off strategy games for lent but I'm tempted to give this a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Not gone back to it either, but I have heard the positive rumblings alright. Definitely one I want to revisit when I have more time off.

Advertisement