Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Course choice

Options
  • 19-05-2018 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Currently stuck between two courses for my CAO:

Accounting and Finance DCU

OR

Philosophy, Politics and Economics UCD

Which course would opened greatest career opportunities specifically toward investment banking/finance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Both will. You'll be doing more exams through your career.
    I've a degree in finance economics and maths from maynooth.
    Then did CIMA accounting exams, got fed up of accounting so I did QFA and worked in financial services then.
    Then I did actuarial exams. My degree is pretty irrelevant now for jobs, but it gave me a great grounding in understanding things in the world.
    Economics is a great subject to study to get you thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Ivorn77

Both will. You'll be doing more exams through your career.
    I've a degree in finance economics and maths from maynooth.
    Then did CIMA accounting exams, got fed up of accounting so I did QFA and worked in financial services then.
    Then I did actuarial exams. My degree is pretty irrelevant now for jobs, but it gave me a great grounding in understanding things in the world.
    Economics is a great subject to study to get you thinking.

I wouldn't be quite as passionate about maths as it seems you are. Is this something I should bare in mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

No you don't have to be big into maths but if you want to keep going in career you'll be doing more exams for certification.
    The degree is a great start but we can't say which will be most employable after 4 years, give more thought to the content than employability. Both will offer great employability, don't go nuts down the philosophy route though, although no harm learning in first year maybe! Keep focused on the financial and economics modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Ivorn77

No you don't have to be big into maths but if you want to keep going in career you'll be doing more exams for certification.
    The degree is a great start but we can't say which will be most employable after 4 years, give more thought to the content than employability. Both will offer great employability, don't go nuts down the philosophy route though, although no harm learning in first year maybe! Keep focused on the financial and economics modules.

Thanks a lot for your help definitely have a more open mind now !

Advertisement