Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dogs on the street don't know what they think

Options
  • 19-05-2018 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭

I would like to consider myself as somebody who pays attention to the general goings on in the world and in particular what is happening in Ireland. Pay attention to the all the papers and also look up the source material so as to be informed. With the advent of comments being added to articles you also get an insight into what people think. As you read the comments you see people who obviously didn't read or comprehend what was written. It amazes me how often people say things that they have no possible knowledge of and the amount of people who agree.
    For example any costs of government work or new project proposals is always going to get a comment about brown envelopes. Anything to do with property is because all the TDs are landlords and conspiring to force prices up to benefit themselves.
    Now the thing is you can look up the tenders and the process, see how many TDs own property and also rent regulation doesn't favour landlords. The usual response is the dogs in the street know what they are saying is true. The thing is they are simply wrong. Are people so hung up on being victims and having a chip on theirs shoulders that the want to believe everyone is always out for themselves. It seems to me that this is really a reflection of themselves and what they would do. Am I the only one thinking like this or am I the minority that these people believe are in on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I would like to consider myself as somebody who pays attention to the general goings on in the world and in particular what is happening in Ireland. Pay attention to the all the papers and also look up the source material so as to be informed. With the advent of comments being added to articles you also get an insight into what people think. As you read the comments you see people who obviously didn't read or comprehend what was written. It amazes me how often people say things that they have no possible knowledge of and the amount of people who agree.
    For example any costs of government work or new project proposals is always going to get a comment about brown envelopes. Anything to do with property is because all the TDs are landlords and conspiring to force prices up to benefit themselves.
    Now the thing is you can look up the tenders and the process, see how many TDs own property and also rent regulation doesn't favour landlords. The usual response is the dogs in the street know what they are saying is true. The thing is they are simply wrong. Are people so hung up on being victims and having a chip on theirs shoulders that the want to believe everyone is always out for themselves. It seems to me that this is really a reflection of themselves and what they would do. Am I the only one thinking like this or am I the minority that these people believe are in on it?

I’ve heard enough stories to know its quite common. All three former politicians I know say it’s not even a secret. Just because you can’t find information on it does not mean it’s fiction.

If it’s not an issue then greater transparency on zoning decisions and the process clarified would help. My estate was built in an area prone to flooding and the council were advised against zoning it for residential property by the OPW. Where is the investigation into my estates issues?

Look at Calley expense scandal, what’s been done to fix that? Do we have a more transparent Dail then we did when the 08 bank collapse showed all sorts of non recorded conversations between ministers and top bankers? what about jobs for the boys , have FG changed that culture? They have on their f**k.

This is a country whose financial regulator actually encouraged one bank to manipulate another banks books and did nothing to address it! But if you import garlic or don’t pay your tv license you are more likely to goto jail...

Never mind me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Nobody goes through their life without being corrupted at some stage or another. People expect that from politicians and guards. I’m sure even ambulance drivers have at one point stolen a few bandages to put in their medicine press.

I think there are some politicians who are honest most of the time and some who don’t give a rats ass about anything apart from their offshore account filling up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dog walker 1234

Irish politics is corrupt. You don't need to know someone personally to know that. If your eyes and ears are open it is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’ve heard enough stories to know its quite common. All three former politicians I know say it’s not even a secret. Just because you can’t find information on it does not mean it’s fiction.

If it’s not an issue then greater transparency on zoning decisions and the process clarified would help. My estate was built in an area prone to flooding and the council were advised against zoning it for residential property by the OPW. Where is the investigation into my estates issues?

Look at Calley expense scandal, what’s been done to fix that? Do we have a more transparent Dail then we did when the 08 bank collapse showed all sorts of non recorded conversations between ministers and top bankers? what about jobs for the boys , have FG changed that culture? They have on their f**k.

This is a country whose financial regulator actually encouraged one bank to manipulate another banks books and did nothing to address it! But if you import garlic or don’t pay your tv license you are more likely to goto jail...

Never mind me.

Pretty good example of what I am talking about. You are bringing in everything and saying this is how it all works. So say we are talking about an IT project none of what you have just said can possibly apply. People will say pretty much what you are saying as proof that the tender for the PSC cards was all ministers getting paid off. How does somebody fiddling their expense account relate in anyway?
    Even the classic throw in comment about how you are hard done by ordinary citizen weird you would include a massive tax fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

You should follow me into the lands of ignorant bliss. I don't watch the news or read news articles. Don't have a breeze of any current affairs. Anything I need to know is usually found out from talking to family members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,418 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Just cliches people like to trot out because they've heard other people say them.
    They're a warning as to what's coming next.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

They don't think it be like it is, but it do

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Are people so hung up on being victims and having a chip on theirs shoulders that the want to believe everyone is always out for themselves. It seems to me that this is really a reflection of themselves and what they would do. Am I the only one thinking like this or am I the minority that these people believe are in on it?

Yes, everyone else believes they are victims and believe everyone else is always out for themselves, in the same way as you believe yourself to be in a minority making yourself out to be a victim of those people, because you're not like them, no sir... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

It seems to me that this is really a reflection of themselves and what they would do.

Indeed. But keep in mind that "they" here could well be representative of the population in general, which might explain why the country is run the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Yes, everyone else believes they are victims and believe everyone else is always out for themselves, in the same way as you believe yourself to be in a minority making yourself out to be a victim of those people, because you're not like them, no sir... :pac:

I am not making myself out to be a victim in anyway. They aren't doing anything to me they are making themselves miserable and are victims of their own made up threat. I just don't understand them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Pretty good example of what I am talking about. You are bringing in everything and saying this is how it all works. So say we are talking about an IT project none of what you have just said can possibly apply. People will say pretty much what you are saying as proof that the tender for the PSC cards was all ministers getting paid off. How does somebody fiddling their expense account relate in anyway?
    Even the classic throw in comment about how you are hard done by ordinary citizen weird you would include a massive tax fraud.

Life isn’t an IT project. The absence of any meaningful transparency or investigations is more then enough to warrant suspicion .... your failure to engage in the plentiful examples that I highlighted Nationally and locally , issues brushed under the carpet suggests you don’t want to discuss this , just make a point with rigid parameters applying.

I don’t feel hard done by I am just not naieve enough to suggest it doesn’t happen because the powers that be don’t regulate themselves in any meaningful way... you asked a question and I answered, it wasn’t what you wanted so you just chose to presume I was feeling “hard done by”. Not sure why you think people who disagree with you take this stance. Perhaps some of us can be aware of the way things are and just get on with it.

Advertisement