Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animals or humans

Options
  • 19-05-2018 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

I was reading a story in a paper today about a bear being killed in Russia.
    The background story is the bear found a rabbit hutch on somebodies farm. He ate 30 odd rabbits. Fearing the place would be crawling with bears eating the rabbits and children and any other pets or animals close to the bears new food source they decided to kill the bear.
    They can now work away at their farming business and not go bankrupt or starve to death.

This seems fair enough to me. So I looked in the comments section expecting to see everyone being sympathetic to the decision the poor farmer had to make. This wasn’t the case. Aparantly we should let the bear roam around the front garden because it’s a wild animal.

Can you imagine if any of these internet commentators had a bear in their garden or if a leopard strolled into their town and ate the local vicar. Would they still demand the wild animal is left to do its thing.

It’s a crazy mind set that infuriates me. I don’t care about the bears being kept alive. I wouldn’t go out of my way to harm one but I wouldn’t fancy having to pass one on the way to work every morning.

Are these people like the people who said they would house a refugee then didn’t. Would they soon change their tune if they were sent to live in a Russian village?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Everyone in every comments section is a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In most countries, wild critters that invade to that degree are either deported or killed. Family in Canada know this with bears and cougars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Graces7 wrote: »
    In most countries, wild critters that invade to that degree are either deported or killed. Family in Canada know this with bears and cougars.

It’s crazy. India is well known for a problem with how they treat women but a few of the lads there killed an animal that attacked a villager and the comments section was crazy with how this needed to be stopped. People who wouldn’t be too bothered about the other issues there.

It’s crazy. India is well known for a problem with how they treat women but a few of the lads there killed an animal that attacked a villager and the comments section was crazy with how this needed to be stopped. People who wouldn’t be too bothered about the other issues there.

Were these locals or voyeurs from overseas? Maybe the kind of folk who get out of their cars in cheetah enclosures in Holland etc?

In Canada they always try to move a wild critter elsewhere unless it has killed someone.

It is not as in this case indiscriminate slaughter.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Were these locals or voyeurs from overseas? Maybe the kind of folk who get out of their cars in cheetah enclosures in Holland etc?

In Canada they always try to move a wild critter elsewhere unless it has killed someone.

It is not as in this case indiscriminate slaughter.

No they were just natives in the video by the looks of them. I’m going from skin color and the rags they were wearing so I’m not 100 per cent but they didn’t look like tourists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,656 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Does the bear sh1t in the woods?

Does the bear sh1t in the woods?

Yes they do. If in the wild and you see a track with bear **** in it it’s best to get off that track. This would be a bear run and they would use this track daily. You don’t want to run into a bear with retreating in a straight line the only option. They are surprisingly fast.
    Loud noises scare them away but in a bear run they would feel threatened and probably mall you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What part of Russia was it? I read a story a few years ago about how there was a record number of bear shootings that year due to aggressive bears. The problem was that humans had overfished the rivers the previous years and now there was no salmon left for the bears so they had to find alternative food sources.

Which is of course quite often the problem with animal attacks, humans constantly encroaching and pushing the animals back into smaller and smaller amounts of territory, and messing up the local ecosystems, then crying foul when they encounter the animals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Let the bears pay the Bear Tax

• Registered Users Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Send in Putin he kill gruesome bear KGB be his pride and joy

• Advertisement

No they were just natives in the video by the looks of them. I’m going from skin color and the rags they were wearing so I’m not 100 per cent but they didn’t look like tourists.

ah sorry.I meant the commenters.. Someone i knew once really believed foxes never kill lambs as she thought they were such lovely critters who ate only rats. My neighbours were sheep farmers who knew else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Russian bears are not to be taken lightly with as this image from recent Russian movie documentary 'Guardians' shows

167563c42536ec36aa1fc3d09d2bfcf3.jpg

Advertisement