Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hive thermostat location.

Options
  • 18-05-2018 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭

I recently had the Hive system set up in the house. The guy who installed it said that I should turn my original EPH dial thermostat up to the max in order for the Hive to over ride the EPH. The location of the EPH thermostat is in the hallway and Id like to put the Hive thermostat in its place.
    Could I remove the EPH thermostat completely instead of having the Hive and EPH within a few inches of each other?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Yes you can, but you need to electrically isolate the power before you do anything, as the wired in this EPH stat will be LIVE 204v, so do not do it unless you are comfortable/experienced working with electricity.

There will be 2 wires (a common and a NO contact) these will need to be joined with a connector block and insulted for safety (same as the stat being turned up full) then you can cover with the Hive Thermostat back plate to cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Thank you. I'll put the connector block (taped up) behind the insulated plasterboard so if need be i can access it again and put the Hive thermostat in the same spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Payton wrote:
    Thank you. I'll put the connector block (taped up) behind the insulated plasterboard so if need be i can access it again and put the Hive thermostat in the same spot.

How are you finding the Hive? I'm upgrading my own soon and I can't decide between EPH Ember, Hive and Climote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    How are you finding the Hive? I'm upgrading my own soon and I can't decide between EPH Ember, Hive and Climote
    So far so good. Ive nothing to compare it to... I only had it installed last Monday so still playing around with it. The app is smooth no lag and when you call for hot water or heat via the app its instantaneous and plenty of differant time settings which has yet to be explored.
    The thermostat will be mounted tomorrow, the reciever is hidden in the cabinet where the boiler is and the hub is on the same socket with the Wi-Fi plug and a big sticker 'Do not unplug'.
    Overall im happy with it, it will be put to its paces when it gets cold. Its ideal for me as I dont have any set time getting home with my job and i was wasting gas before with the heating coming on at 5 for an hour but i wouldn't get home until 8 or so. Now 20 mins away from home just hit the app and hopefully it will be warm when I get home.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Gets much more fun when you add a few bulbs and sensors and get them all to interact with each other, or add Amazon Alexa or Dot so you can speak to them all!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement