Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary school Maths teacher??

Options
  • 18-05-2018 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

What degree would I need to obtain to teach maths at secondary level? I have been advised to do a Maths and Physics for a bachelor's degree. Should I? Or is there any other way?

Also what is the average salary of a newly qualified maths teacher? Is a Maths teacher in high demand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Nicoladrog wrote: »
    What degree would I need to obtain to teach maths at secondary level? I have been advised to do a Maths and Physics for a bachelor's degree. Should I? Or is there any other way?

Also what is the average salary of a newly qualified maths teacher? Is a Maths teacher in high demand?

Do a concurrent degree in DCU, Limerick or Maynooth. Maybe there are other colleges too. You'll definitely be qualified and won't have to do the PME.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

If its your hearts desire to teach give it a go, but you'll find better paid jobs with a maths and physics degree outside teaching, and your teachers pension will be woeful. It's not all dead poets society.most of it is grange hill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

judeboy101 wrote: »
    It's not all dead poets society.most of it is grange hill.
    A sizeable amount is The Wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

NUI Galway has a concurrent degree also. Four years in length which qualifies you to teach Maths & Applied Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭doc_17

spurious wrote: »

Ah The Wire. What a TV show. Poor oul Pryzbylewski. Any of you that haven’t seen get on it over the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭doc_17

Oh, and OP. Are you a second level student?

NUI Galway has a concurrent degree also. Four years in length which qualifies you to teach Maths & Applied Maths.
    Applied maths will be gone by 2021 new subject 'mathematical modelling', of which the current ap course will be but 25% of the content

doc_17 wrote: »

Ah The Wire. What a TV show. Poor oul Pryzbylewski. Any of you that haven’t seen get on it over the summer.
    If you come at the king, you better not miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭amacca

I'd have said more like national lampoons animal house!:)

Advertisement