Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen cabinet recommendation

Options
  • 18-05-2018 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi,

We've been let down by our current kitchen design compnay. We're 4 weeks away from the end of our new extension. We've had a deposit down for week on a handless kitchen with a wood grain effect finish. I'm finding it difficult to find a similiar quality finish in some of the design shops i've visited in the last few days. The current company is offering us alternatives, but i want to explore all options before i think of compromising on my choice.

The reason for my choice of finish is that i wanted a contempory style kitchen, i felt that high gloss/matt flat doors might be a nightmare to keep clean with 2 children under 3. I know they won't be kids forever but i thought that the grain effect might go in some way hide the finger prints/hand marks. Has anyone had any experiences of any of these types of finishes and how they perfom day to day?

Would appreicate any input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Hi,

We've been let down by our current kitchen design compnay. We're 4 weeks away from the end of our new extension. We've had a deposit down for week on a handless kitchen with a wood grain effect finish. I'm finding it difficult to find a similiar quality finish in some of the design shops i've visited in the last few days. The current company is offering us alternatives, but i want to explore all options before i think of compromising on my choice.

The reason for my choice of finish is that i wanted a contempory style kitchen, i felt that high gloss/matt flat doors might be a nightmare to keep clean with 2 children under 3. I know they won't be kids forever but i thought that the grain effect might go in some way hide the finger prints/hand marks. Has anyone had any experiences of any of these types of finishes and how they perfom day to day?

Would appreicate any input.

Your spot on, we have a new kitchen with a mix of matt finish grey doors and oak grain effect doors. You see all the small hand prints on the matt doors but none on the grain effect doors, having said that a quick waterwipe of the matt doors and they are perfect again

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If you want something relatively fingerprint resistant in a handleless (J-door) you're definitely looking at some matt doors or a modern-woodgrain effect.

I say 'some' of the matt doors as the fingerprint resistance varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. You'd want to be quite literally hands-on when choosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

We have white high gloss handless doors and yes you do see some handprints but because of the shine you don’t notice them too much. A damp cloth cleans them in seconds so is not a big deal.

As for our white satin internal doors and whitish wood effect laminate on the floors and our white paint on some of the walls in other rooms – now they are a nightmare to keep clean and I swear the kids love getting them dirty.

Advertisement