Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic Mini died

Options
  • 18-05-2018 9:52am
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    My Classic Mini 1275GT decided to die today. It hasn't been started in about 2 months and hasn't been ran since late last year. It started fine but died after about 5/10 minutes. (Starting loosing revs and then cut out).

I took the fuel line off at the carb and tried starting and fuel came out (so this seems ok).
    I changed all the spark plugs and still nothing (they were fairly black and wet with oil).

So the car tries to start, but just won't kick in now. I've killed the battery as a result of trying to start it!

Any suggestions as to what it could be?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Check if you have a spark at the spark plug when you turn over the engine.

If you do have a spark, I wonder if the float in the carburettor is stuck closed with the car having been idle for so long.

There's not too much to go wrong in them.

Oh, and charge up that battery asap!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Battery is plugged into the mains to charge. It's on a constant feed. Ill have a look at the carb anyway. What's the easiest way to check for a spark? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Have a look here.

Keep hands off the spark plug when cranking. You can get a fair shock !!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thanks for that! So I'll just ground it off the engine block! I'll give that a go!

Advertisement