Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling remapped car: Revert to factory or not?

Options
  • 18-05-2018 7:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

If I am selling a car that's been remapped - is it better to revert to factory map or will dealers have no problem with taking the car in as-is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I guess it depends on what car it is. For some cars it might be a plus. For most cars probably not.

Me personally I wouldn't buy a car that had been mapped. First thing I'd take from it is that power was very important to the previous owner. Mmmh... Second thing is it might be grand, might have been done by an expert. Then maybe it wasn't.
    I would imagine it definitely affects resale value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Say nothing? Then, it’s just a nippy car/economical.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Say nothing? Then, it’s just a nippy car/economical.

Ye thats probably a good idea.

Unless its a Subaru GXD7J with go faster stripes and a big wing where power is a selling point with the buyer clientele you're probably better off not saying anything. if it ever came back to you which is extremely unlikely you could always say you didn't know yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

you're probably better off not saying anything. if it ever came back to you which is extremely unlikely you could always say you didn't know yourself.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I will never buy a car from a private seller ever again in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

If only Ireland was more like other more scrupulous nations where used car sales are always straight and fair.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Personally I'd revert to stock. Whoever buys it might never know and if the worst happened could be screwed. Karma and all that.

Bought a mapped car years ago, had been badly mapped, loads if issues, I knew nothing about it but the onus was on me to prove I didn't map it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

arleitiss wrote: »
    If I am selling a car that's been remapped - is it better to revert to factory map or will dealers have no problem with taking the car in as-is?

If you were to put yourself in the shoes of a potential buyer, what would you prefer?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Wildcard7 wrote: »
    And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I will never buy a car from a private seller ever again in this country.

And how will you be better when buying from a dealer that doesn't care?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Also, the buyers insurance might be voided without them being aware of it.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Also, the buyers insurance might be voided without them being aware of it.

That's why you need to always answer truthfully:
    - Was the car modified from its factory specification?
    - Not that I am aware.

One or two companies refused to quote based on that response, rest were fine once I elaborated that I have never modified nor had the car modified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If the car is on manufacturers warranty then probably change it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

PCeeeee wrote: »
    If you were to put yourself in the shoes of a potential buyer, what would you prefer?

No ofcourse not, I would prefer as stock as possible.
    That's the main reason I am asking, was just curious if anyone had any similar experiences.

Advertisement