Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Licence plate. No tax book

  • 17-05-2018 8:03pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭ 80sDiesel


    How difficult is it to get the tax book if you have the car and reg number? The car has been off the road for 30 yrs.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ mattroche


    Go to your Local motor tax office, they may have it on record. The Dept. of Trans. in Shannon don't keep such records. Tried earlier this week.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭ 80sDiesel


    mattroche wrote: »
    Go to your Local motor tax office, they may have it on record. The Dept. of Trans. in Shannon don't keep such records. Tried earlier this week.
    Tnks. Were you able to get one ? Can you keep the original reg number ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭ Silvera


    80sDiesel wrote: »
    Tnks. Were you able to get one ? Can you keep the original reg number ?

    Insist on keeping the original reg number - its part of the vehicle's history.
    No problem replacing the log book if you follow the procedure.


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,259 ✭✭✭✭ Esel


    Silvera wrote: »
    Insist on keeping the original reg number - its part of the vehicle's history.
    No problem replacing the log book if you follow the procedure.

    The reg no. cannot be changed.

    Not your ornery onager



  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭ hi5


    If it's not on the computer then it's a ZV reg and then only after jumping through a load of hoops first.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,259 ✭✭✭✭ Esel


    hi5 wrote: »
    If it's not on the computer then it's a ZV reg and then only after jumping through a load of hoops first.

    Just because of having no logbook?

    Not your ornery onager



  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭ hi5


    Esel wrote: »
    Just because of having no logbook?

    Yes, I know someone with just this problem, he has the car and the original number plates but nothing else and no record on the computer.
    The logic from the tax office is that the car could potentially have been stolen and stripped of its true identity.
    The procedure advised went something like, club verification, engineers report, Commissioner of Oaths, Rosslare and ZV reg.


Advertisement