Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.4 petrol Astra or 1.4 diesel Auris

Options
  • 17-05-2018 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Looking to change my car and will probably be getting one of the above. Either the 1.4 petrol Opel Astra or 1.4 diesel Toyota Auris. I'm inclined to prefer the latter but worried my mileage won't be high enough for a diesel. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You know they do the Auris in petrol too?

What’s your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭angeline

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You know they do the Auris in petrol too?

Yeah but they're both used cars so don't have that choice.

angeline wrote: »

Have you limited yourself to buying from one particular garage or something?

What year is the Auris you’re looking at? You say you don’t do much mileage, but of that mileage is a lot of it short journies?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

But you do have a choice, there are more than those two used cars out there for sale.

They are the two cars I am seeking opinions on, my personal circumstances dictate my choice.

• Advertisement

If you could answer the questions re the year of the Auris and your driving that would help give an accurate answer.

A situation where you have a choice of 2 of the 150,000-ish used cars for sale in the country isn’t ideal of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

Did you try them both? Which one did you prefer?

I'd be inclined towards the Astra but that's solely because it's petrol and I do like my petrol ;) 
    Will not be as reliable as the Auris, which is probably also nicer to drive as the diesel has this low-down torque the petrol don't... but depends on the type of driving you'll be doing (as mentioned above).

Nuw wrote: »
    Did you try them both? Which one did you prefer?

I'd be inclined towards the Astra but that's solely because it's petrol and I do like my petrol ;) 
    Will not be as reliable as the Auris, which is probably also nicer to drive as the diesel has this low-down torque the petrol don't... but depends on the type of driving you'll be doing (as mentioned above).

Thanks for the helpful reply. My driving is prob more suited to a petrol car but I can also take the Auris on a few long drives to keep it happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Thanks for the helpful reply. My driving is prob more suited to a petrol car but I can also take the Auris on a few long drives to keep it happy!

What year Auris are we looking at? It may not have a DPF. For longevity I'd prefer an Auris any day of the week over an Astra.

I went for the Astra in the end as it was in much better condition and my driving is prob more suited to petrol. I agree though that Toyota is a better car. Thanks for replies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement