Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2008 Mini One advice.

Options
  • 17-05-2018 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,

My sister is getting her first car had has found a 2008 Mini One that she's dead set on buying. AFAIK it's the 1.6 petrol engine one. Has anyone any experience with these at all? She won't even really entertain the idea of another car so any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Duff wrote: »
    Hey lads,

My sister is getting her first car had has found a 2008 Mini One that she's dead set on buying. AFAIK it's the 1.6 petrol engine one. Has anyone any experience with these at all? She won't even really entertain the idea of another car so any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers.

Get a Cooper at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Has she gotten insurance quotes for a 1.6 l petrol? For her first car.....

Then again she can spend her hard earned cash on whatever she wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Duff wrote: »
    Hey lads,

Cheers.
    grogi wrote: »
    Get a Cooper at least...

May not compute with insurance companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Yeah, she has two years named driving experience and she's happy enough with the quotes shes got and she's dead set on this Mini One. Are they reliable at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Remember that it's a 10 year old car and they are made by BMW so there will be certain things that won't be cheap to fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Tell me about it. I've an e60 M and I've been telling her the cost of repairs and importance of regular services etc. It does have full service history and seems in good nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bazz26 wrote: »
    May not compute with insurance companies.

Cooper is mechanically identical though.

Look at a Mini First if you want to save on insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Cooper is mechanically identical though.

Look at a Mini First if you want to save on insurance.

R56? I don't think so...

One has 1.4l, cooper is 1.6, cooperS 1.6 turbocharger.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

grogi wrote: »
    R56? I don't think so...

One has 1.4l, cooper is 1.6, cooperS 1.6 turbocharger.

Ah, was thinking of the 07 back model.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

As any BMW product, maintenance is key, if the one she's looking at has full service history, it's a good starting point. Heard some gave problem with headgasket (mind you, it doesn't look widespread per se, just the two I know of around me) which have me think the temp gauge might be a little optimistic... Make sure every electrics work properly as well (as with any other car) and check the wheels for scratches and the likes, because of their go-kart nature, some of them have been a little "manhandled" if you will, scratches on alloys could be a tell-tale.

In fairness, at this point, the ones you'll look at are 10 years old, I think the reliability will have more to do with the particular exemple you're looking at than anything else, so check it thoroughly, bring a mechanic with you if unsure etc... the usual stuff when buying a used car ;)

Other than that, and if you keep on top of maintenance, they're not the worst beamer reliability-wise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement