Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Air con stinks

Options
  • 17-05-2018 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I switched on air con for the first time yesterday and there's a terrible stink from it. I only have the car 2 months (Golf Mk5) and am unsure as to how often it was used by previous owner. I've a feeling the air con system needs to be cleaned as it's probably full of bacteria. My question is, is this diy thing of spaying an aerosol while leaving air cob running in recirculatory mode any good? I see Halfords have it in a can for €12.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Moanin wrote: »
    Hi All,

I switched on air con for the first time yesterday and there's a terrible stink from it. I only have the car 2 months (Golf Mk5) and am unsure as to how often it was used by previous owner. I've a feeling the air con system needs to be cleaned as it's probably full of bacteria. My question is, is this diy thing of spaying an aerosol while leaving air cob running in recirculatory mode any good? I see Halfords have it in a can for €12.

Thanks

I don't know about the Halford aerosol but I had the same issue with my AC when I got my car.
    Wurth Coolius is what I used, feed the tube into the evaporator and spray liberally. I did this more than two years ago and the smell hasn't returned yet.
    I got a can from my local John Deere dealer, it was less than 10 euro.
    https://eshop.wuerth.de/Air-conditioning-disinfectant-spray-DISINFSPR-A-C-300ML/089376410.sku/en/US/EUR/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭tphase

try changing the cabin air filter. Had the same problem on an A4 not too long ago and that's what cured it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

tphase wrote: »
    try changing the cabin air filter. Had the same problem on an A4 not too long ago and that's what cured it for me

Pollen Filter was changed when serviced in Mar this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Dero

If you're anywhere around west Dublin, this place will do a decontamination for you. Might be worth getting a full A/C service if you're unsure of it's history.

If you're not near Dublin, I'm sure there are a few other places offering such services.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭bliger

• Advertisement
Advertisement