Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ambulance call taker 2018 (outsourced?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

flazio wrote: »
    https://cplhealthcare.com/job/call-taker-emergency-services/
    CPL healthcare are advertising for call takers to work with the NAS.
    Are public jobs not involved anymore?
    The HSE recruit directly now via their website. Due to the high turnover of staff and work conditions they had to outsource to cpl to plug the holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

They have a fairly large panel in place from their own recruitment last year, around March they ran expressions of interest for 14 call takers to start training this month, 3 of the roles were permanent and 11 temporary.

My guess would be that not a lot were willing to leave current jobs to take a temporary position so not many of the 11 positions may have been taken, hence outsourcing to CPL instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 JenD87

5500 wrote: »
    They have a fairly large panel in place from their own recruitment last year, around March they ran expressions of interest for 14 call takers to start training this month, 3 of the roles were permanent and 11 temporary.

My guess would be that not a lot were willing to leave current jobs to take a temporary position so not many of the 11 positions may have been taken, hence outsourcing to CPL instead.

I just interviewed for temporary call taker. Do you know what the chances of being made permanent are if posts come up?

JenD87 wrote: »
    I just interviewed for temporary call taker. Do you know what the chances of being made permanent are if posts come up?

Press statement

1st June

SIPTU warns of staffing issues in National Emergency Operations Centre

SIPTU has written to the National Ambulance Service today (Friday, 1st June) to warn of major staffing problems within the National Emergency Operations Centre (NEOC) which takes emergency calls and dispatches ambulances across the country.

SIPTU Organiser, John Mc Camley, said: “Currently, the NEOC, which operates across two sites in Tallaght in Dublin and Ballyshannon in County Donegal, is below its agreed staffing level by 35 workers. In 2016, a similar deficit led to an industrial dispute at its operation centre in Tallaght.

“Following that dispute, an agreement was reached between management and SIPTU members to resolve the staffing issues. Unfortunately, a number of delays in implementing parts of this agreement have contributed to a continuing high turnover of staff, particularly in the emergency call taker grade.”

SIPTU Health Division Organiser, Paul Bell, said: “All our members in the National Ambulance Service provide a vital service in sometimes very stressful conditions. However, many of these highly skilled emergency staff working in the NEOC have a starting annual wage of just above €21,000. SIPTU representatives have asked management to draw up an action plan which would reduce the delays in recruiting staff and deal with the retention issue.”

For further information contact:

SIPTU Organiser, John Mc Camley:

SIPTU Health Division Organiser, Paul Bell:

Disclaimer: This message (including attachments) may contain information that is privileged, confidential or protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that dissemination, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this message or any information contained in it is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message from SIPTU in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply email and delete this message from your computer. Although we have taken steps to ensure that this email and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

NAS sent out eoi' s for 14 permanent positions in tallaght last week and 3 temps this time, they still have a panel of over 80 from the last recruitment available to them too, so there doesn't seem to be a problem finding the staff but more so the retention of them for whatever reasons.

• Advertisement

5500 wrote: »
    NAS sent out eoi' s for 14 permanent positions in tallaght last week and 3 temps this time, they still have a panel of over 80 from the last recruitment available to them too, so there doesn't seem to be a problem finding the staff but more so the retention of them for whatever reasons.

Staff retention was a huge issue for the 2 years I worked there. Most staff haemorrhage from Tallaght, Ballyshannon seems to be a much better working environment. The money and the conditions didn't make for a great life. We only got 30 mins of a break in a 12 hour shift and toilet breaks were monitored, only 1 call taker or dispatcher allowed out of the room at one time when i was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 JenD87

Staff retention was a huge issue for the 2 years I worked there. Most staff haemorrhage from Tallaght, Ballyshannon seems to be a much better working environment. The money and the conditions didn't make for a great life. We only got 30 mins of a break in a 12 hour shift and toilet breaks were monitored, only 1 call taker or dispatcher allowed out of the room at one time when i was there.

That sounds harsh. I was offered a post with a CPL contract but couldn't arrange childcare so had to decline it.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭niteclubbecks

Anyone been to a interview for this role. If so what should I expect?

Advertisement