Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ducati Hypermotard / Hyperstrada

Options
  • 17-05-2018 9:20am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone had a go on a Hypermotard or does anyone own one? I've always really liked them and seriously considering one now. I have a blade which is great but I'm getting a little bored with it now and fancy something different. It's not ideal for commuting and its horrible with a pillion. The Hyprstrada really appeals to me as it's supposed to be brilliant fun for a blast around the backroads, perfect for wicklow etc - and it's got some touring bits so it’s more comfy than the motard with a lower and more comfy seat, a screen, panniers, a centerstand and two power points. Would be nice to be able to do a night/weekend away with the wife – yet still have something that’s great fun for Wicklow blasts etc. I've been reading about it and watching the youtube reviews and it seems to get cracking reviews.
    Has anyone here been on one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BazzyB

I've ridden two of the Hypermotard variants one quite extensively as it was owned by a friend of mine. He had one of the older ones a 1100 evo sp, what a bike it was! :D They are tall very tall, I'm 6' 6" and found it one of the most comfortable bikes I've ever ridden, the seat is wide and comfy and loads of room for a pillion.

Personally I found it a bit snatchy on the throttle and the dry clutch takes some getting used to, however it will wheelie in 3rd off the power from down low and induces some brilliant smiles. Don't see why the someone would think they needed an SP unless you were heading for a track day but brakes on them are fierce, in particular the rear. Also they get very very warm and will cook your legs after an hour or so but I've been told that is a ducati thing. Will keep up with most bikes on the road and very confidence inspiring, just watch the downshifts it will chatter the rear if you're too aggressive.

Also tried a 796 I was thinking of buying on an extended test ride for an evening, For me it was a much nicer engine, less power but more controllable and you could really open it up with confidence without always worrying about lifting the front, slipper clutch really smooth when coming hot into a corner, it is a much lower and more compact bike which was a negative for me but could be a positive for others, the suspension I found inadequate for my 105kg but probably needed a good service as the bike had 14,000 miles at this point. Nicer sound too in my opinion, not like the tractor rattle of the dry clutch. Reason I didn't go for it in the end was it was missing character I felt, seemed a slightly more well speced mt07 to me and that wasn't what I wanted. I always consider a Hyper 1100 now and again but haven't given the 796 a second thought since that evening, it just didn't feel a special as I though it would.

Have never tried a hyperstrada i'm afraid but I hear they are also quite small and compact.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Just to throw a spanner in the works, have a look at a KTM 990 SM as well, I owned one a few years ago and when I was considering it I was also looking at Hypermotards.

Good comparison video from MCN

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

It's the 821 I'm looking at - 2013 model which is lower than the older models. I'm short so the Hyperstrada appeals to me be being lower still - and I've found one that has been factory lowered - so it has an 830mm seat height - whereas the older 1100 was 870mm which is too tall for me. KTM's are also very tall. My blade is 810m so I should be fine with the Hyperstrada. I used to have a Ducati 749 and as you said it roasted the arse of you in hot weather, I never thought of that - however the 821 has the exhaust at the side and not up under the rear seat so hopefully it won't have the same problem.

I'm intersted to see what the throttle is like, I also hear the clutch has a very small bite point right at the end. Definitely looking forward to the wheelies though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BazzyB

You're right about the clutch from what I remember but I got used to it fairly quickly.

In my opinion a hypermotard would be a nicer overall bike coming from a blade, the strada is kind of having a identity crisis in my opinion. You can always get a good tail bag for the motard for the smaller tours.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Lads does anyone know what the deal is re insurance on these things? I just called up to enquire about changing from the blade. I would have thought that a Hyperstrada would be cheaper to insure than a Fireblade - but I just got a crazy quote. Now I previously had a claim from 5 years ago but it's now cleared so I was expecting my previous price of €650 to drop. But they are quoting 800 for a Hyperstrada. I argued and they came back with 600 but that still seems high - I now have a clean policy and 10 years no claims. Are these bikes just more expensive to insure than a Fireblade? Blade was 2008 Duc is 2013...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,214 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Probably viewed as higher risk of getting robbed Zascar.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Zascar wrote: »
    Lads does anyone know what the deal is re insurance on these things? I just called up to enquire about changing from the blade. I would have thought that a Hyperstrada would be cheaper to insure than a Fireblade - but I just got a crazy quote. Now I previously had a claim from 5 years ago but it's now cleared so I was expecting my previous price of €650 to drop. But they are quoting 800 for a Hyperstrada. I argued and they came back with 600 but that still seems high - I now have a clean policy and 10 years no claims. Are these bikes just more expensive to insure than a Fireblade? Blade was 2008 Duc is 2013...

I'd say its just that so few are sold that our insurers are doing the usual trick of put a big number on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Didn't notice this thread the first time round. I have a 2008 1100 hypermotatd. Never road a hyperstrada, in fact I've never even seen one! But I was touring again and doing lots of motorway miles, I'd get a screen for my hyper. I never got one for normal use because it takes away from the look and feel of the bike.
    I'd say for pillion it wouldn't be too comfortable, probably a bit better than a blade because the rider is more upright. But the hyperstrada has a better saddle, not sure about pillion foot peg position.
    The bike is perfect for spins on nice days. The exact reason I got it. I'd agree with pretty much everything BazzyB said, it's snatchy at low revs and the dry clutch takes getting used to. Downshifts sound cool, some people get a slipper clutch, but you get used to it, big blips are fine. One thing I disagree with, the tractor rattle of the clutch is cool, it's part of a ducati. I have an open clutch, embrace the rattle!
    The video KT10 sums it up, I remember watching it when I got mine. The ktm has a better engine and is easier to use, but they both choose the Ducati!
    I went from a bmw 1200 gs adventure, height wise the hyper is a piece of piss for me. I'm 5 foot 10. Tank range is only 150km, on the bmw I'd be getting worried when the range gets that low! But it's fine for touring around Ireland.

My insurance is about 370, I'm 40 and a full NCB. Same as the GS. Thought the ducati would be more expensive cos I live in west Dublin, but it's not. Ring around for that, maybe cos it's 2008? Dunno, insurance companies pick a figure out of their arsé imho

Thanks Cienciano - Good to know. I had a 749 with the dry clutch so I know it all to well - but I loved the rattle, I had it open too! I'm going for a 2015 model which I believe has a wet clutch. It also has fly by wire throttle with 3 models, Sport, Touring and Urban. Sport can be a bit snatchy I think but the others are fine, touring has the full 110bhp but urban limits it to 75bhp I believe.

The Hypermotard and the Hyperstrada are exactly the same bike - just a few bits that make it more usable generally and for touring like a screen, panniers, power sockets, a lower and more comfortable seat and a centre-stand. I've found one that is factory lowered 20mm again thankfully as they are very high My blade was horrible for Pillion I'm sure this will be miles better - it's only for occasional pillion spins. I don't want a full on boring tourer as most of my riding is commuting and Wicklow spins so I think this ticks all the boxes.

Off to Scotland to collect it this weekend and then ride around for 2 days, can't bloody wait!!

Thanks Cienciano - Good to know. I had a 749 with the dry clutch so I know it all to well - but I loved the rattle, I had it open too! I'm going for a 2015 model which I believe has a wet clutch. It also has fly by wire throttle with 3 models, Sport, Touring and Urban. Sport can be a bit snatchy I think but the others are fine, touring has the full 110bhp but urban limits it to 75bhp I believe.

The Hypermotard and the Hyperstrada are exactly the same bike - just a few bits that make it more usable generally and for touring like a screen, panniers, power sockets, a lower and more comfortable seat and a centre-stand. I've found one that is factory lowered 20mm again thankfully as they are very high My blade was horrible for Pillion I'm sure this will be miles better - it's only for occasional pillion spins. I don't want a full on boring tourer as most of my riding is commuting and Wicklow spins so I think this ticks all the boxes.

Off to Scotland to collect it this weekend and then ride around for 2 days, can't bloody wait!!

Hyperstrada has a bigger tank too as far as I remember. Would be a great allround bike, lot of people do the opposite of you get touring bikes and just do the odd tour when you don't really need one. 95% of it is shorter spins. The hyperstrada is perfect for that, leave the panniers at home most of the time.
    One bullshíte thing everyone told me about the hypermotard is that it's only good as a second bike. Glad I didn't listen to that!
    The engine paint isn't great on mine, was going to touch it up. Supposed to be a lot better quality now. But no harm to invest in some ACF 150 from the start. It's perfect for commuting and spins, it has the performance and the seating position. Enjoy, and stick photos up in the pics thread when you get it.

• Advertisement

Ok good to know, I have some ACF50 at home I'll do start first thing.

I'll definitely post some pics - bringing a gopro too so hoping to get some great video. Just trying to get a chin mount sorted.

Anyone have a spare Sugru by any chance?

When I read about people going to Scotland to pick up a new Ducati, it makes me wish I never had kids!

Ha well I did time it when the mrs happens to be away so no permission needed ;) - but yes you are another example of people with kids who are really not selling me on the idea haha :D

My plan, which will probably never happen, is to get one of these on the continent:
    https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/mv-agusta-brutale-1090-gasoline-white-250a856d-e8d9-d773-e053-e250040a06ae?cldtidx=8

Probably have to wait for 18 years for the kids to move out first

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Blade was 2008 Duc is 2013...

Value of the bike and perceived cost to repair in the event of an accident maybe?

Possibly but from what I hear adding an extra few k to the value of your bike does not affect the premium that much. I think it may be that it's more of a target to be stolen. It also could be the fact that the Hypermotard is a total wheelie machine and a known hooligan bike haha :D

Any pics yet Zascar?

35001426_226102997991641_3948174950573015040_n.jpg

She's a beast!

Showing off with the centre stand! Looks good.

Finally got around to taking a few proper photos - and I thoght i'd give a bit of a write up:

LraLY5w.jpg
    FO8yJI5.jpg
    qCi3GGr.jpg

I spent all weekend on it there and had a blast. Firstly, its a very very different bike to what I had before (fireblade). I mean it really is totally different. It's a supermoto obviously but it really is almost like a motocross bike. The seating position is mad you are sitting totally up straight, right over the tank with your hands right up - but commuting the last few days I much prefer it - really feels like a strong command position on the road - and you can more easily see over all the traffic. These are very high bikes. The Hypermotard is 870mm standard and the SP is 890mm which is huge. The Hyperstrada is 850mm and mine is factory lowered so 830mm so more than manageable even for a shortarese like me. It also feels so much smoother, the suspension is not bone shakingly hard like a sportbike - I was all around sally gap and even had the wife on the back, you can plough through any bumps not a bother - on the blade you'd be rattling around.

So when I first got it and went for a proper spin I was actually a little underwhelmed. Now I'm going from a 170bhp bike to this which is 110bhp (821cc) so a pretty big difference. It felt quick but not snap your neck off like I was used to. I was actually starting to sort of be disappointed, right up until I found out how to change the riding modes. It has Urban, Touring and Sport. When I got it into Sport it turned into a COMPLETELY different bike - it really came alive. Miles better throttle response (fly by wire) and just way way more fun. Then I rode the wicklow gap and Wow - these are the roads these bikes are designed for! The smaller and windier the road the better.

This thing is a Cornering Monster! Obviously it's not as fast on the big straights but I'm sure I can carry just as much speed if not way more into the corners. With the blade I had to make sure to get the gear changes right - with a twin you can plough into a corner at any speed and it just chews it up! Savage criac. You just load up the front and throw it in and it chucks it around the corner! Great fun.

It has 7 stage traction control and 3 stage ABS which you can modify but I've left it on standard for now. As I said it is a very different feel. The gearbox is a bit agricultural and the clutch is very snatchy when starting off - you need to let it out to the bite point and pull it back in again - takes some getting used to but it's grand now. I'm getting used to a twin engine again - its lovely to have so much mid range grunt but it runs out of steam at the top like any twin. Nice to be able to just leave it in 3rd if you are feeling lazy.

Mine has a touring screen so give you plenty of wind protection. The seat is extremely comfortable - really supports you, and with the wife on the back it's brilliant. The blade was horrible with a pillion - this is miles better.

So basically all the reasons I bought it - it has ticked all the boxes. A mad fun crazy machine for weekend blasts on the windiest of wicklow back-roads, comfy taking a pillion, able to tour with luggage, brilliant for commuting - and I have not tried it yet but I'm told it's a beast for wheelies!

Highly recommended if anyone is thinking of getting one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭Goose81

I didn't see this at the time but ****ing expensive. My insurance went from 450 euro on a gsxr 600 2007 to 1400 on a 899 panigale 2014

It's the cost the replace it if it's stolen, your new bike is worth twice what the blade was? and Ducati parts are mega money if you crash and they have to repair it.

Give you an example , mine fell over in the car park. Clutch lever, gear shifter are 150 euro each. Handlebar a snip at 80 etc

Another bonus over the blade is it's something different. Blades are everywhere. After about 10 years on some sort of BMW GS's, I just wanted something that you wouldn't see 30 of in laragh.

Yeah true! A guy in a very nice BMW M3 pulled up beside me in traffic the other day, winded down the window and told me he loved the bikes and he has never seen one in Ireland before. I think I have ever only seen a handful myself.

Re the insurance - as per the insurance thread I managed to get it down to €420 after a lot of bartering - so half what they originally quoted me. Just shows what you can do if you keep trying. Don't believe any of the bull**** they tell you "I just need to have a chat with my underwriter etc etc". She did say that mainly it was because it's not garaged, if I was not in a shared car park they could have got it for close to €300.

Yeah true! A guy in a very nice BMW M3 pulled up beside me in traffic the other day, winded down the window and told me he loved the bikes and he has never seen one in Ireland before. I think I have ever only seen a handful myself.
    I only recall seeing one, about a week ago. It was probably you! Think it was a normal tard, not a strada.

Very little difference in them - without the luggage the only main difference is the bigger screen. Where did you see it?

Very little difference in them - without the luggage the only main difference is the bigger screen. Where did you see it?

It was on Cork Street, Dublin 8. Heading away from town.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

Lovely bike Zascar, good luck with it.

Might have been this one that was out and about.

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/ducati-hyper/19339611

Don't want to be nosey but how does that stand price wise with yours?

Yeah I saw that one - its lovely. Well priced I'd say. I've seen older ones on donedeal for more than 7k.

Mine is a 2008 1100 hyper with full termis on it. Cost me €5500 about 4 years ago. Think there's more cash floating around now. I'd do what zascar did and look abroad. Germany and Italy has some beautiful bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Ducati should bring back the bigger engine'd motards.
    I think the small tank on those is very restrictive if its to do any serious touring, which it is kind of trying to aim at.

Advertisement