Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2004 Mini, head gasket gone

Options
  • 16-05-2018 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

6 gears love it.

Head gasket gone , quoted 1200 for a brand new one.

Breakers won't sell second hand gasket only engine , how much do you think a second hand engine would be ,plus fitting , or am I mad.

Should I just let it go. Problem is I love the car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Probably €300 in labour, 2 days max. You'd want to be sure it's a good engine. Service the gearbox while it's out.
    €1200 seems a lot how much of that is parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,120 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

More expensive but a reconditioned engine with some sort of warranty is a safer bet than a second hand engine that you know nothing about and could have the same issue as the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Had a friend suffer the same fate , had his reconditioned and skimmed and pretty much rebuilt. Was about 2200 all in. He wanted though as he knew the car well.

This appears to be a common issue with them so personally I'd ditch it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

TheFever wrote: »
    6 gears love it.

Head gasket gone , quoted 1200 for a brand new one.

Breakers won't sell second hand gasket only engine , how much do you think a second hand engine would be ,plus fitting , or am I mad.

Should I just let it go. Problem is I love the car.
    Well there is no way anyone will fit a secondhand headgasket, it would be crazy. They're a use once item. A secondhand engine is a bit of an unknown and a bit extreme to be changing it over a hg.

If it was me id get the engine repaired if I was keeping the car. It will need a new headgasket, head skimmed and the various other bits. If done correctly it should see out the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 TheFever

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Well there is no way anyone will fit a secondhand headgasket, it would be crazy. They're a use once item. A secondhand engine is a bit of an unknown and a bit extreme to be changing it over a hg.

If it was me id get the engine repaired if I was keeping the car. It will need a new headgasket, head skimmed and the various other bits. If done correctly it should see out the car.

Thanks for all the replies. The 1200 was for a new head gasket, without labour.

I have had a second hand engine put in a car before and I only got a week out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

A new head I assume you mean? The gasket is cheap (up to €100 maybe)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

TheFever wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. The 1200 was for a new head gasket, without labour.

Are you sure? I'd check that. Sounds like an all-in price IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

Had that job done on a different car for 700 all in (including skimming the head and rebuilt. Are you sure only the gasket is changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

€1200 sounds way too much. I would have expected it to cost about half that, maybe €700 at the absolute most.

It is prudent to change things like the timing belt (if the car is fitted with one) and water pump while you're doing it since you effectively only have to pay for the parts (and for the best part of €600 to €700 I would expect them to be changed).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Jimmy Dags

Put back on the fuel filler cap and stop loving car, plenty used minis to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭listermint

€1200 sounds way too much. I would have expected it to cost about half that, maybe €700 at the absolute most.

It is prudent to change things like the timing belt (if the car is fitted with one) and water pump while you're doing it since you effectively only have to pay for the parts (and for the best part of €600 to €700 I would expect them to be changed).

700 for a rebuild and skim?

No chance . That engines a prick to work on most places don't actually want to work on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

listermint wrote: »
    700 for a rebuild and skim?

No chance . That engines a prick to work on most places don't actually want to work on them.

In general they aren’t the most accessible car to work on but believe it or not removing and refitting the head is a very easy and straightforward job on them (assuming 1.6 petrol)

I think the €1200 quote must be the price of a new cylinder head.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

Or maybe it includes some other job like piston rings?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

In general they aren’t the most accessible car to work on but believe it or not removing and refitting the head is a very easy and straightforward job on them (assuming 1.6 petrol)

I think the €1200 quote must be the price of a new cylinder head.

It would make more sense, especially since the op says that a breakers won't sell them a headgasket which I think they are confusing with the cylinder head.

Advertisement