Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elective section - holles street

Options
  • 16-05-2018 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭

I have a few questions about this if anyone has been in recently... the info sheet says your bag is taken first before you get into a gown for theatre... if so does that mean you walk to theatre bare foot with your bum out!? I know that’s only a small thing but I assumed I’d have my dressing gown over it.
    It also says you (me) go to recovery and partner and baby to ward.. I thought you’re encouraged to do skin to skin and breastfeed asap- do you have to lie in recovery alone or can baby be there?

It also says the catheter stays in 24 hours. I bloody hated that thing the last time and I go it out about 5-6 hours after coming down from recovery,
    Although that was an MROP not C Section. I kinda hoped I could walk that night?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭GavMan

Wouldn't they wheel you?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

I recently had an elective section, wasn't in holles street though but i was wearing my dressing gown and slippers walking to theatre and the midwife took them in the lobby before entering theatre itself.
    On the catheter, I had my section at 11.30 in the morning. The midwives had me out of the bed by 7.30 that evening but there is no way I could of walked to bathroom. Its the policy in that hospital to take the catheter out the following morning. So 6 am the next day my catheter came out, so less than 24 hrs. I know none of this is in relation to holles street but just thought it might give an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I had two gowns, one for the front and one for the back. I had the catheter out after 24 hours first time but two days the second time as I had a small op on my bowel. I didn't have skin to skin, didn't ask for it and I had a bit of a wobble in recovery second time so it wouldn't have been ideal. I breastfed as soon as I got to my room and it was fine. Himself had some really nice bonding time.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

Oh as regards skin to skin, the midwife who was in theatre with me said that as long as all was ok on the ward she(the midwife) could stay in recovery with me and baby and feed there but as it happened she needed to go back to the ward and so baby went too as the theatre nurses are not trained with babies and so a midwife needs to stay with you if baby is staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭deedless

Very recent. I'm going to go into as much detail as I can in case it helps others.
    So, you go into the day ward. The admissions midwife took details, consents were done by a Dr. The anesthesiologist did a quick check. Baba was palpated and heartbeat listened to. Urine sample was taken and bloods if needed for cross matching.
    Changed into 2 gowns, front and back. Stay in the day ward til called.
    Then up to the theatre complex. A theatre nurse did a pre op check list and anesthesiologist checked again. My partner was with me for all this.
    Then I went into theatre alone. One gown removed and shoes/knickers off.Spinal was done, then laid down. Cathether put in. The partition was put up. Dr started the section then my partner was brought in. About 5 mins later baba was out. Cord clamped quickly (I had some placenta issues) They showed him to us, then the pediatrician brought him over for vit k, cleaning and measuring. Then the midwife asked me if I wanted skin to skin. I did so she put him on my chest, under my gown. He stayed there til I was sewn up. Then Dad and baba went somewhere and I stayed in theatre for a while alone (with Drs). Not sure how long this was. Then I went to recovery. After a while the two boys came in to me, and I started to bf. Brought to the ward around 3:30. Cathether removed and went for a shower at 6ish the next morning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement