Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Fit quality.

Options
  • 16-05-2018 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,765 ✭✭✭✭

Lads - I've seen a good bit of industrial quality installations. But I've seen very few modern homes wired.

I'm paying decent money to the electrician to wire a 2000 sq foot house.

I notice that the cables on the joists are held in with a 4 inch nail - then bent up to hold bundle.

I don't know I'f I'm being pedantic - but is it unusual to use nails in this day and age with all the options out there to hold cable.

I'm sort of looking at it thinking I'd do a better job myself. ?

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Plumber myself so I don't know regs but this used to be the norm. Notch out joist, sit cables in the joists & tap a nail in sideways to hold the cables in. I've knelt on too many of these over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 20,765 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Plumber myself so I don't know regs but this used to be the norm. Notch out joist, sit cables in the joists & tap a nail in sideways to hold the cables in. I've knelt on too many of these over the years

It seems a poor idea in 2018.

The wiring I pulled out was better and probably pre 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

A nail holding up the cables to stop them from sagging is normal and nothing to worry about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Jimmy Dags

Cowboy stuff, there are a thing called cable clips now. Worrying about approval from others on using nails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Not a fan of nails either. But it's about time that clips were made for the new T&E instead of upsizing all of the old clips by a size.

Just use 8-12 round clips for 1.5 and 10-14 round clips for 2.5, if it’s for first fix work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Or maybe possible to make straps from offcuts of cable to fix bundles to side of joists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Galvo band might do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Jimmy Dags wrote: »
    Cowboy stuff, there are a thing called cable clips now. Worrying about approval from others on using nails.

Can you explain what's wrong with using nails and why you would need to clip cables that will be hidden.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

• Advertisement

Can you explain what's wrong with using nails and why you would need to clip cables that will be hidden.

Neatness and quality standards. Argue your opinion with a Reci inspector about using nails and you will get similar response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Jimmy Dags wrote: »
    Neatness and quality standards. Argue your opinion with a Reci inspector about using nails and you will get similar response.

Thanks Jimmy. Not arguing, just interested in why it would be an issue. If i was to argue i might say a cable in a concealed space would be safer it was allowed to move a little. Is using a nail a breach of regulation?

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

Using a nail is inconsiderate to other trades that need to run services. Nails sticking out, perharps driven through a Joice and sticking out. I will ring Reci inspector tomorrow and get an answer on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If it is any consultation to the electrictricans plumbers have been known to use a nail to keep copper pipes rigid in notched out joists too. Send us all to jail

Its getting nasty now, wait until the Carpenters get word of this anti nail carry on.

A large round thorsman clip is what I would use personally, a loop of galvo band on bunch of circuits.

Unless he's driving the nail into the cable is it a bit soon to judge?

I rang Reci inspector today and he said nails are unsuitable for supporting cables. He strongly suggested cable clips and timber bridges/ noggings. Likes of Thorsman band also disapproved.

Not sure i agree about the Galvo band. Its speced to be used to support large cables on cable trays for fire rating, like a vertical risers or stainless steel tie wraps for small cables. Probably an issue with pvc/pvcs.

Good to know tho.

Advertisement