Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert

Options
  • 16-05-2018 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I’m 19 at the moment. Ill probably go working for a year and then do a pass LC and after that a Honours LC. I’ll probably be a bit old I just want to ask people 1: How do I get the motivation to go back to education and avoid being harassed for being a bit older I had some personal stuff I had to deal with. 2: What is the best way to study and what is the best way of getting back into education after being out of it for about well it will probably be 4 years at that stage and 3:What is the best way to work and relax. Also how do you get over derealisation/ depersonalization thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Moved from Leaving Cert

John, as odd as it might seem at first glance to move this, you will probably find people with more insight in this forum rather than in the Leaving Cert forum where almost everyone is 16-18 and doing Leaving Cert at the traditional / conventional time in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

John 19 wrote: »
    I’m 19 at the moment. Ill probably go working for a year and then do a pass LC and after that a Honours LC. I’ll probably be a bit old I just want to ask people 1: How do I get the motivation to go back to education and avoid being harassed for being a bit older I had some personal stuff I had to deal with. 2: What is the best way to study and what is the best way of getting back into education after being out of it for about well it will probably be 4 years at that stage and 3:What is the best way to work and relax. Also how do you get over derealisation/ depersonalization thank you

I sat a single leaving cert subject as a mature student and then went on to do a degree as a mature student. I can honestly say not a single person commented on my age, I would have been 25 when I started the extra LC subject & 31 when I graduated

You have to find motivation from somewhere, it has to come from yourself or this Leaving Cert. will be similar to the last one. For me the realisation that if I didn't do something I'd be stuck in a job earning €10-15 an hour for the rest of my life. My own advice would be to leave aside the arts degrees that have no defined career paths. Studying Medieval English is a fine thing but the job market has no requirements for people with this knowledge.

For me it came down to doing a weekly schedule down to the hour on a Sunday night. I knew every hour I'd be in class, hours I had free to study, to eat, to shower, excercise and I left hours to relax and do nothing.

Advertisement