Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan BBQ

Options
  • 16-05-2018 3:00pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Any idea's for some vegan BBQ dishes that work well on charcoal grill?

Ideas for frozen/store bought stuff, or home-made recipes welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Redbhoy

I have an interest in this also. 2 recent barbecues and at one I made skewers with mixed veg and chunks of vegan sausage with a bbq marinade and at the other I had sweetcorn and a vegan burger.
    Would love more ideas also. If you check youtube you can get some good ideas.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Hey-

I'm not a vegan, but I cook extensively over charcoal and have a suggestion that we have adapted for use when vegetarian friends have called around. It would need further tinkering, for obvious reasons, when adapting to a vegan menu, but I think the overall premise is still sound.

It's basically a wine and spice poached whole head of cauliflower, roasted on a charcoal grill set for indirect heat (I use a Big Green Egg but anything similar would work).

In terms of adapting for a vegan you'd need a butter substitute for the poaching of the cauliflower and then to completely sub the very dairy-heavy cheese whip that accompanies this.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/whole-roasted-cauliflower-with-whipped-goat-cheese-51161230

Although predominantly I cook meat and fish on the grill with direct heat I should also mention that it's possible to do a very good job on things like peppers and sweetcorn. A marinade / rub will dictate a lot of how they taste, but there is a big input from the charcoal used. It's worth not skimping out and there is a distinctive flavour from a good quality charcoal from the likes of Oxford Charcoal in the UK. Don't use cheap supermarket charcoal, it's almost always rubbish.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The cauliflower sounds really good. Sub out for vegan butter. For the sauce you can use vegan cream and vegan cream cheese etc, it's fairly easy to make a nice dipping sauce anyway. I use liquid smoke for everything, even when something is really smoked :D

The "No Bull" burgers from Iceland are amazing, throw them on your bbq for your burger portion.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Marinaded tempeh ribs. Sticky, crispy, sweet... :drool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I'm not a vegetarian, but some nice sides i like to cook on the BBQ apart from the usual skewers include tomatoes on the vine and asparagus.

I punch holes in tinfoil trays, and add the tomatoes along with olive oil, salt and pepper. I do the same in a separate tray with the asparagus. Then I put them over hot charcoal and close the lid. Once tender I drizzle the tomatoes with balsamic vinegar and the asparagus with lemon juice. These are always a hit.

I also pre boil baby potatoes, skewer them, spray with oil, sprinkle with salt and herbs and BBQ until golden and charred. I serve this with citrus mayo. There are never any left!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I make bbq beans from a vegan cookbook all the time. If you finish them on a charcoal bbq with the lid off the beans, but the lid on he bbq, with some wood chips on the coals you get a lovely Smokey bean.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Broccoli and peppers with spices and oil rubbed on them are delicious on a charcoal bbq

Advertisement