Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a quote after having a claim

Options
  • 16-05-2018 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

I was involved in a minor tip where I rear ended another vehicle. There is no damage to my car and a dent in the back of the other car. The car I crashed into was an expensive vehicle. The driver was very genuine but insisted it would have to go through insurance. They have came back to me with a quote for 4k for the damage as the whole part had to be replaced.

I will be 28 when I am renewing my insurance at the end of this year. I paid 1200e for my insurance. From peoples experience what sort of an increase am I looking at for my renewal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

It's anyone's guess but I would imagine over 2k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Sono

thestar wrote: »
    I was involved in a minor tip where I rear ended another vehicle. There is no damage to my car and a dent in the back of the other car. The car I crashed into was an expensive vehicle. The driver was very genuine but insisted it would have to go through insurance. They have came back to me with a quote for 4k for the damage as the whole part had to be replaced.

I will be 28 when I am renewing my insurance at the end of this year. I paid 1200e for my insurance. From peoples experience what sort of an increase am I looking at for my renewal?

Is your NCB Protected? That’s the key here. If so then you should not be impacted provided you don’t leave your current insurer.

Shopping around may prove to be a little bit more difficult as you must declare this claim and it all depends on how their underwriting department see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Sono wrote: »

Is your NCB Protected? That’s the key here. If so then you should not be impacted provided you don’t leave your current insurer.

Reversed into a low wall last year, around €2k damage. Insurer bumped up my premium 40% on renewal - no one else would quote me due to the recent claim so I was stuck with the 40% increase.

At least my no claims was protected.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

Sono wrote:

I don't think that's correct.

You will keep you NCB discount percentage but the base premium will be increased as a result of the recent claim.

Ie if you have three years NCB you may be quoted 1000 less 30% NCB. Then if you have a claim but are NCB protected you might be quoted 2000 and still be given the 30% NCB.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I don't think that's correct.

You will keep you NCB discount percentage but the base premium will be increased as a result of the recent claim.

Ie if you have three years NCB you may be quoted 1000 less 30% NCB. Then if you have a claim but are NCB protected you might be quoted 2000 and still be given the 30% NCB.

Ok well I’m only speaking for the insurance company I am insured with and what I posted is how they work.

• Advertisement

Reversed into a low wall last year, around €2k damage. Insurer bumped up my premium 40% on renewal - no one else would quote me due to the recent claim so I was stuck with the 40% increase.

At least my no claims was protected.

Sorry I don’t understand your point? Is this a genuine story or one you have made up?

If this is genuine then why didn’t you query where they got the 40% hike from? All premiums have gone up in recent times, mine has increased over 100% since 2015 on the same vehicle with no claims in that period. Don’t confuse NCB protection with market increases because they are completely separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Shopping around may prove to be a little bit more difficult as you must declare this claim and it all depends on how their underwriting department see it.
    But having a protected NCB is all well and good. But if your NCB is 50% and your renewal goes up 100% due to the accident, you will still pay a lot more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Desktopper

What happens if you report an accident but no claim is made either side

Damage is minor

Will they yank up the premium for this?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Desktopper wrote: »

Damage is minor

No. Same as if they originally pay out but you pay them back for it. Had an open claim on renewal a few years ago and poiicy was jacked up because of it. Received a refund from them after they paid out but I paid them back for what they paid out (after receiving refund meant my insurance went down that year), following year policy went down again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Desktopper

No. Same as if they originally pay out but you pay them back for it. Had an open claim on renewal a few years ago and poiicy was jacked up because of it. Received a refund from them after they paid out but I paid them back for what they paid out (after receiving refund meant my insurance went down that year), following year policy went down again.

I don't understand your reply

Edit I have you now

• Advertisement

Desktopper wrote: »

Damage is minor

No nothing is impacted here, it’s notifiction only.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Sorry I don’t understand your point? Is this a genuine story or one you have made up?

If this is genuine then why didn’t you query where they got the 40% hike from? All premiums have gone up in recent times, mine has increased over 100% since 2015 on the same vehicle with no claims in that period. Don’t confuse NCB protection with market increases because they are completely separate.

No I'm not confused.
    No I don't randomly drop in on motor insurance forums with made up scenarios just to confound others.

To save typing it out again, here is my original post on the insurance quotes thread.

TLDR - a "claims loading" of 17% was applied, plus a 25% annual increase.

I was slated on the thread for complaining about a 40% increase, and other insurers refusing to quote me - apparently I should have expected this.

Don't confuse your sample size of n=1 as being representative of the entire insurance market.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Advertisement