Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conflicting answers regarding Irish law on fishing with live bait

Options
  • 16-05-2018 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Can someone please share the final verdict on: in Ireland, is it illegal to fish in the SEA using live bait?

The fishing regulations are clear and state that it is illegal to fish using live bait in freshwater which is perfectly understandable. However, when I asked a tackle shop owner if he had any live bait he responded by saying "fishing with live bait is illegal in Ireland". I told him it was for sea fishing and he insisted that it's still illegal.

Everywhere I search online (except the fishing regulations) seems to confirm that it's illegal to fish with live bait both in fresh and salt water. However, there are numerous online discussions of people using live bait to fish in seawater as well as mentions of tackle shops that sell live bait.

Can someone please share the final story? Is it illegal, yes or no. Why is there so much conflicting information?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭.red.

As far as I've always been aware, there are no restrictions on live baiting in the sea.
    Lugworm, ragworm, maddie's and crab are all live baits used everyday. Sandeel also but to a lesser extent as their too difficult to keep alive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Freshwater only, you can use live bait in the sea. Live bait really only refers to live fish like roach, sandeel, mackerel. Live worms, crab etc are not considered livebait, otherwise you would not be allowed to fish worms or maggots in freshwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 heyitsfranklin

.red. wrote: »
    As far as I've always been aware, there are no restrictions on live baiting in the sea.
    Lugworm, ragworm, maddie's and crab are all live baits used everyday. Sandeel also but to a lesser extent as their too difficult to keep alive.
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Freshwater only, you can use live bait in the sea. Live bait really only refers to live fish like roach, sandeel, mackerel. Live worms, crab etc are not considered livebait, otherwise you would not be allowed to fish worms or maggots in freshwater.
    Thanks for the clear answers, finally :)

Do anyone know any bait shops in Cork (city) that stock fresh bait? It seems every shop stocks them frozen :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Thanks for the clear answers, finally :)

Do anyone know any bait shops in Cork (city) that stock fresh bait? It seems every shop stocks them frozen :confused:

Try O Connell's in the English Market.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jim from Cork

Live baiting is permitted at sea. There is no law against it. Worms and such like would not be considered live bait.

As for fresh bait you'd want to give the city shops a buzz to see what they do... I know that Halfway Angling and East Cork Bait & Tackle would do crabs and worms when they are available (You may have to preorder.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement