Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Connections

Options
  • 16-05-2018 10:59am
    Company Representative Posts: 485 Verified rep

Irish Water, the national water utility, has responsibility for the delivery of water and wastewater services to homes and businesses across the Republic of Ireland, including the provision of water service connections to new developments. Since taking over this responsibility in January 2014, Irish Water has been improving the delivery of services to customers. 

Connections and Developer Services (CDS), a department within Irish Water’s Asset Management function, has responsibility for the provision of water services connections to new developments. CDS is rolling out a transformation project, to better streamline the services that it provides to customers. This transformation project is well underway and comprises the following: 

1. The establishment of a pre-connection enquiry system, which allows developers who are considering the advancement of a development to establish from Irish Water if water services can be provided from its networks to the site. This is a free service and results in the provision of a confirmation of feasibility (COF) indicating what service can be provided by Irish Water at that time. This COF can be submitted with planning applications to show that engagement has taken place with IW. PCE forms are available on the Irish Water website here.

2. The roll out of an Irish Water connections application process, and accompanying guidance. Irish Water is now the single point of contact for customers seeking new water and/or wastewater connection for new developments. Connection applications for new water and/or water service connections can be made directly to Irish Water via the Irish Water website www.water.ie/connections/.

3. The publication of Irish Water technical documents, comprising Standard Details and Codes of Practice. These technical documents outline Irish Water’s requirements for the provision of water and wastewater infrastructure in new developments where this is being provided by the developer by way of a self-lay approach. These technical documents are available on the Irish Water website here.

4. The application of new quality assurance (QA) measures for self-lay infrastructure that is to be adopted and the adoption/vesting of these assets upon connection (water and waste water infrastructure within new housing developments). The quality assurance measures are enabled by a self lay connection agreement. The quality assurance is undertaken by Irish Water engaging with developers and inspecting the water and wastewater infrastructure at an early stage before its connection to the Irish Water networks.

5. The mobilisation of dedicated regional contractors (RCs) to complete the connection of new infrastructure to the Irish Water networks using standardised processes and systems. The regional contractors operate where Local Authorities Water Services staff do not or are not available to provide connection work themselves but require customers to undertake the physical connection works. Currently CDS regional contractors are being mobilised in various Local Authority areas and this process will continue through 2018.

To date, the first three deliverables have been completed and the remaining two deliverables are well underway. 

Connection Charging Policy

Irish Water is working with the Commission for Regulations of Utilities (CRU) in putting in place an enduring national Connection Charging Policy (CCP). It is intended that the CCP will replace the current practice of applying 57 different charging regimes, requiring about 900 variations in calculating connection charges. The CRU held a 10 week public consultation in early 2018 which commenced in early January and concluded on March 23rd. The CRU is currently considering the feedback received from this public consultation and will announce its decision in due course.

Diversions, Alterations and Building Over 

Under Section 45 of the Water Services Act it is an offence to interfere with and/or cause damage to Irish Water’s networks. Approval is required in accordance with Section 98 of the Water Services Act to alter or divert networks. Section 104 of the Water Services Act prohibits building over water services infrastructure without the appropriate approval of Irish Water. Connection and Development Services (CDS) should be contacted if a developer/customer wishes to divert, build over or near our existing water services infrastructure.

Diversions may be required if a water main or sewer in the ownership of Irish Water traverse a development site and its diversion is required to facilitate construction. A diversion application should be made to Irish Water if the relocation of such infrastructure is required. CDS will contact the developer/customer regarding the application and if acceptable offer a diversion agreement. To find out more please visit www.water.ie/connections

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 s00bf06e

Hi, We are nearing the end of construction of a new once off house. We have not yet applied for a connection as I was told to hold off until the new charges come in. Has there been any update or indication from the commission as to when these will be finalised?  If I apply in the meantime will I be charged at the current rates? and if the new charges were to be put in place before I got my physical connection would I be charged at the new rate?
    Would you recommend I go ahead and apply if I intend to be in the house in the next 2-3 months? What is the typical time from application to connection (we are in Wexford).

Thanks in advance for your help

• Company Representative Posts: 485 Verified rep Irish Water: Allanah

Hu s00bf06e,

Thanks for getting in touch.

We are currently liaising with the relevant department in relation to your query and will contact you as soon as we have an update.

Thank you for your patience,
    Allanah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Irish Water: Micheal

Hu s00bf06e,

We are currently liaising with the relevant department in relation to your query and will contact you as soon as we have an update.

Thank you for your patience,
    Allanah
    Hi there,

We have received an update from our Connections Department in relation to your query.

In January, 2018, the Commission for Regulation of Utilities (CRU) launched a 10 week consultation on a national Connection Charging Policy proposed by Irish Water (IW) which is now closed. Full details on the consultation including proposals are on the CRU website. The CRU public consultation closed on the 23rd of March, the feedback is currently being considers post the consultation, it is expected the CRU will make a decision on the policy and changes later in 2018 including any transitional arrangements.

Until the IW proposal has been approved by the CRU, IW charges customers in accordance with the CRU approved Water Charges Plan. Sections 21 and 22 of the Water Services Act (No. 2) 2013 sets out that Irish Water shall charge customers as calculated in accordance with the approved Water Charges Plan. The current Water Charges Plan states (at Section 6) that in relation to new connections, Irish Water charges an amount "equivalent to the water and Wastewater related development levies which the Local Authorities were formerly entitled to charge".

We cannot speculate on what costs the CRU will decide on. Timelines in each local authority area differ depending on the demand for new connections. Therefore if you are hoping to move in to your new property in the next 2-3 months; it would be advisable to apply for your new connection straight away. An application can be made online at www.water.ie.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,
    Micheal

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dlkm5

Looking for information on when I will be offered terms for a water connection in co. Louth. I applied nearly 3 months ago and got an email confirmation, since then nothing.I rang last week for an update and was told it was with the ‘field engineer’. This appears to be a stock answer and tells me nothing.

If you know the location of the water main ( <10metres) and where the meter needs to go, surely this is very straight forward.

Does the ‘field enginer’ have a work schedule and if he does where am I on his list, it is not acceptable that,the customer care pleads ignorance on what stage my application is or when terms for supply will be issued.

Could you also tell me, how it is costed and who does what.? Who installs the pipe to the meter from the main, who applies for the road opening license etc.

Looking forward to your reply

Dlkm5 wrote: »
    Looking for information on when I will be offered terms for a water connection in co. Louth. I applied nearly 3 months ago and got an email confirmation, since then nothing.I rang last week for an update and was told it was with the ‘field engineer’. This appears to be a stock answer and tells me nothing.

If you know the location of the water main ( <10metres) and where the meter needs to go, surely this is very straight forward.

Does the ‘field enginer’ have a work schedule and if he does where am I on his list, it is not acceptable that,the customer care pleads ignorance on what stage my application is or when terms for supply will be issued.

Could you also tell me, how it is costed and who does what.? Who installs the pipe to the meter from the main, who applies for the road opening license etc.

Looking forward to your reply
    Hi there,

We're sorry to read this. 

Please PM us the following details and we will be more than happy to assist

- Name
    - Address of proposed connection
    - Contact number 
    - Application date

Kind regards,
    Micheal

• Advertisement

[snipped]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Irish Water: Mairead

Hi DLKM5,

Would you mind re-sending these details by private message?

We also recommend you delete your previous post, as this information is unique to you.

Thanks,
    Mairead

Mairead, I PM you the details which I previously put up. Can you also reply to general questions I asked re schedule and who does what.

Thanks

Dlkm5 wrote: »
    Mairead, I PM you the details which I previously put up. Can you also reply to general questions I asked re schedule and who does what.

Thanks
    Hi there,

Thanks for your message.

We have received your PM and a member of our team will respond to you very shortly.

Kind regards,
    Micheal

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dinamit875

Hi. I have a question about water connection to private house within an estate. That house is on sale and we are interested in it, but nobody was living in that property and its not finished inside, so I don't know was it ever connected to water supply, because an estate agent doesn't tell much and I don't want to employ an engineer yet. Would you be able to help me with this question? I will be able to give you property's address if you PM me back, please. Thank you very much.

• Advertisement

Hi dinamit,

Thanks for your query.
    dinamit875 wrote: »
    Hi. I have a question about water connection to private house within an estate. That house is on sale and we are interested in it, but nobody was living in that property and its not finished inside, so I don't know was it ever connected to water supply, because an estate agent doesn't tell much and I don't want to employ an engineer yet. Would you be able to help me with this question? I will be able to give you property's address if you PM me back, please. Thank you very much.

As you are third party and have no affiliation with the property yet, we would not be able to say if there is a connection supply at the address in question, due to data protection reasons.

We would recommend that you contact the developer or the seller or alternatively, if you fill in a pre-enquiry form on our website here, you can check for feasibility.

We hope this helps, please feel free to get in touch again with any future queries.

Thanks,
    Allanah

Hi,

Nobody has contacted me re my connection query. I sent a PM over a week ago but am still waiting for somebody to contact me. It’s 3 months now since I applied for a connection and have got nowhere. Surely somebody in there can answer my general queries as well. Not a great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Simbima

Hi my property is currently running off a shared connection which is lead piping underneath all the properties in the terrace. The house is in Dublin and was built around 1900. My neighbor says a few years ago IW upgraded the ring main to the rear of the terraces and supplied connections to the next row of terraces in our street but didn't supply connections to our row of terraces. I'm currently getting some building work done to the back of my property and would like to take the opportunity of connecting to the ring main (and have lead free water) which is about 3m form my rear boundary wall, what is the feasibility of this work being carried out as I would like to place th pipework in the ground to connect to the IW ring main when possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Irish Water: Amy

Hi Simbima,

You can find out more on how to apply for a New Connection here.

Kind regards,
    Amy

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Simbima

Hi Simbima,

You can find out more on how to apply for a New Connection here.

Kind regards,
    Amy
    Cheers Amy,

Following a connection application, when would I expect a response on the feasibility of the connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Irish Water: Amy

Hi Simbima,

Apologies for my miscommunication - The below details from our website are more relevant to your query.

"If your home was built before 1980, then you should check your plumbing for lead. If there is lead then you should replace the plumbing, and the Government has a grant scheme that you may qualify for. There is a process for replacing the public side of the lead service connection following that, please follow that process using our Lead Pipe Scheme Application Form rather than apply for a connection."

In terms of a time-frame, the relevant ream will process your form and contact you in due course.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Amy

• Registered Users Posts: 5 samfernance

We are looking at buying a house in Lissymulgee, Carracastle, Co Mayo.
    The property currently has a private well, however we would prefer a mains water connection.
    Do you have services available in this area?
    Thank you for your assistance

• Company Representative Posts: 222 Verified rep Irish Water: Niamh

Hi samfernance,
    We are looking at buying a house in Lissymulgee, Carracastle, Co Mayo.
    The property currently has a private well, however we would prefer a mains water connection.
    Do you have services available in this area?
    Thank you for your assistance
    Thank you for contacting us.

For more information on our new connections process, please see here.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Niamh

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dcoyle277

Hi,

I applied for and was offered a new connection, I have paid connection fee and returned forms, but have recieved no contact since and am beginning to wonder if I ever will? Paid connection nearly 3 months ago!

Hi dcoyle277,
    dcoyle277 wrote: »
    Hi,

I applied for and was offered a new connection, I have paid connection fee and returned forms, but have recieved no contact since and am beginning to wonder if I ever will? Paid connection nearly 3 months ago!
    Sorry to hear that you have been experiencing this.

Please PM us the following information:

- Your full name;
    - The address for the new connection; and
    - Contact number.

Once we have received these details, a member of our team will investigate this for you.

Kind regards,
    Niamh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 hijklmnop

Hi Irishwater,

I applied for a new connection on Aug 24th and have heard nothing back.

Can you let me know when we might hear back from you guys?

Our builders are asking about what pipes will need to be put in.

Thanks,

Des

Hi hijklmnop,
    hijklmnop wrote: »
    Hi Irishwater,

I applied for a new connection on Aug 24th and have heard nothing back.

Can you let me know when we might hear back from you guys?

Our builders are asking about what pipes will need to be put in.

Thanks,

Des
    Thank you for getting in touch with us.

Please send us a PM with your full name, address, contact number and reference number, and a member of our team will look into this for you.

Thanks,
    Niamh

• Registered Users Posts: 2 grasserman123

HI-I've applied to Irish water for a connection & still have heard nothing-can this be followed up on please

Hi grasserman123,

Apologies for the delay in responding.
    HI-I've applied to Irish water for a connection & still have heard nothing-can this be followed up on please

A member of our team has been in touch with you via DM.

Thanks,
    Allanah

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Hi Irish Water

I live in a rural area served by a well. We're on top of a hill and the mains connection doesn't reach us.

There is a group scheme down the hill but when it was formed there were only a handful of houses at the top and not enough were interested in joining!

15 years later there are a lot of houses at the top, and many like ourselves are struggling with poor water quality and worn out household appliances, showers, toilets etc due to extremely high iron content despite expensive filtration.

One of the neighbours heard rumour that Irish Water were talking about extending their supply to reach new premises due to the increase in demand.

Would you be able to check? Any information would be great. I look forward to the day I can have a bath without it looking like I filled it directly from my bladder...

Hi DrPhilG,
    DrPhilG wrote: »
    Hi Irish Water

I live in a rural area served by a well. We're on top of a hill and the mains connection doesn't reach us.

There is a group scheme down the hill but when it was formed there were only a handful of houses at the top and not enough were interested in joining!

15 years later there are a lot of houses at the top, and many like ourselves are struggling with poor water quality and worn out household appliances, showers, toilets etc due to extremely high iron content despite expensive filtration.

One of the neighbours heard rumour that Irish Water were talking about extending their supply to reach new premises due to the increase in demand.

Would you be able to check? Any information would be great. I look forward to the day I can have a bath without it looking like I filled it directly from my bladder...

We would advise you to submit a Pre-connection Enquiry form on our website which can assess the feasibility of a connection for your property.

Please see https://www.water.ie/connections/information/ for more information about how to get connected.

Kind regards,
    Niamh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

We would advise you to submit a Pre-connection Enquiry form on our website which can assess the feasibility of a connection for your property.

Please see https://www.water.ie/connections/information/ for more information about how to get connected.

Kind regards,
    Niamh

Thanks Niamh but that's not really what I'm getting at. My house is over a mile from the nearest mains connection, and at the top of a hill. I already know that I cannot currently get connected.

I have heard however that there are plans to extend the current mains connection area and I was wondering if you could confirm or deny that.

Hi DrPhilG,
    DrPhilG wrote: »

Kind regards,
    Niamh

Thanks Niamh but that's not really what I'm getting at. My house is over a mile from the nearest mains connection, and at the top of a hill. I already know that I cannot currently get connected.

I have heard however that there are plans to extend the current mains connection area and I was wondering if you could confirm or deny that.
    Please send a PM with the following information and a member of our team will look into this for you.

- Your Full Name;
    - Your Full address; and
    - Contact number.

Thanks,
    Niamh

• Registered Users Posts: 41 maireadf

Hi ,
    We applied in November for our water connection, we paid the €6500 .
    We waited , so my husband rang and they said we didn’t have to do anything else and they’d be in touch .
    We waited for another month , we rang to be told we were misinformed and we had to contact the county council and obtain lisences and subcontractors .. this was going to cost another €4000 at least . So we had to cancel that application and reapply under the new scheme , I said to hold onto the money , all the field engineer stuff had been done and just put it off the new bill.
    We are now a month later, they rang to say that now they can’t keep the money and have to reimburse and re bill and repay again !
    And guess what , it’s still on the field engineers desk ! We are waiting to move in , so stressful as the architect can’t issue certs Til the water is switched on so the builder won’t get paid !

• Advertisement

Hi maireadf,

Thanks for your message.
    maireadf wrote: »
    Hi ,
    We applied in November for our water connection, we paid the €6500 .
    We waited , so my husband rang and they said we didn’t have to do anything else and they’d be in touch .
    We waited for another month , we rang to be told we were misinformed and we had to contact the county council and obtain lisences and subcontractors .. this was going to cost another €4000  at least . So we had to cancel that application and reapply under the new scheme , I said to hold onto the money , all the field engineer stuff had been done and just put it off the new bill.
    We are now a month later, they rang to say that now they can’t keep the money and have to reimburse and re bill and repay  again !
    And guess what , it’s still on the field engineers desk ! We are waiting to move in , so stressful as the architect can’t issue certs Til the water is switched on so the builder won’t get paid !

would you mind sending the below details via PM and we can look into this for you:

- Name;
    - Address;
    - Contact number;
    - Application reference number; and
    - And additional details in relation to the application.

Thanks in advance,
    Allanah

Advertisement