Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for mentally stimulating collie cross?

Options
  • 16-05-2018 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I have an 8 month old border collie x lab, as it's coming into better weather, he's now encountering sheep, cows, chickens etc for the first time and his herding instincts are running wild. I live surrounded by fields with cattle and other animals grazing in them so he's rearing to go.

Last week I accidentally dropped the leash on a walk and he headed straight to a field with cows in it and began herding them, took me a while but I finally got him back, and I am aware how dangerous it is for him to be doing that. But I can just tell he is dying to give into his instincts, so I'm just wondering, is there anything I could do so he could exercise those instincts, but without bothering any farmers cattle?!

During the winter I would walk him without a leash as there was rarely anyone about & there was no animals in the fields but I am too nervous we will encounter a field of cattle & he will bolt it, so he's not getting to run about and expel the energy he already has.

I know keeping him mentally stimulated is important so I give him his meals in kong wobblers, nose work, hide & seek, chasing etc.. but just wondering if there is anything I can do to exercise his herding instincts!

TIA!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Have you tried agility or flyball?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭3dogs

no flyball I know of in Ireland unfortunately and Agility is mainly confined to the East coast of the country

Obedience seems to be more wide spread and some people really enjoy it ( personally I'd rather watch paint dry )

There are also a lot of online resources for trick training and general stuff, one i always recommend is Kiko Pup
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-qnqaajTk6bfs3UZuue6IQ
    She does some brilliant stuff

My collie cross has got away from me twice to herd cows, thankfully she wasn't injured nor did she cause any injury but it is a terrifying experience. I am now hyper vigilant for cows, no sheep in my area luckily

Advertisement