Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lights for driving in Europe

Options
  • 16-05-2018 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭

Hi, herself is bringing her 2014 Mazda CX-5 to France this summer. The headlights on her car adjust when cornering so I was wondering if they can be set for driving on the right hand side of the road, i.e point to the right instead of the left so as not to blind drivers on the left hand side of the road?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Would I be right in saying the active headlights only operate when the stalk is in the AUTO position and not when in the regular “headlights on” position?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Firblog

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying the active headlights only operate when the stalk is in the AUTO position and not when in the regular “headlights on” position?

I believe you are right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

We have taken the car to France for holidays few times just go into Halfords and buy the reflectors they are only a few euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Had a similar headlight setup on an S60 previously and you could go into the settings and change them for left hand drive.
    Dare i suggest a look around the light settings in the car menu or a look in the owners manual

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

Don't forget the high vis vest, spare bulbs and breathalyser kit
    Firblog wrote: »
    Hi, herself is bringing her 2014 Mazda CX-5 to France this summer. The headlights on her car adjust when cornering so I was wondering if they can be set for driving on the right hand side of the road, i.e point to the right instead of the left so as not to blind drivers on the left hand side of the road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

kyote00 wrote: »

Breathalyzer isn't required

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Some cars don't need any adjustment.
    Ie, bmw f10.
    It has a flat beam pattern, (there is a very slight difference between lhd & rhd) and doesn't need any beam benders.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=486124&d=1297679253

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

kyote00 wrote: »

Breathalyzer isn't required[/quote

Last time we wer ther couple of years ago ya had to have two of them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I've been buying a breath testing kit here (as they expire) for the last few trips over, but the law appears to have been ignored in most cases and it's not enforced.
    https://about-france.com/driving-checklist.htm#breathalyzer

You can pick up cheap units at the checkouts at motorway stops, apparently.

Oh, and about the lights - a Peugeot 508 apprently has the flat beam profile so does not need adjustment or reflectors, other than the normal adjustment required for the load in the rear (typically made up of 100 bottles of fermented grapes).

A lot of laws requiring Hi Viz vests, breathalisers, warning triangles, only apply to locally registered cars.

Once your car is compliment with your own local laws .. it'll be compliant with the laws of the country you are visiting, with the obvious exception of lights, ... buts that's just common courtisy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

mikeecho wrote: »
    A lot of laws requiring Hi Viz vests, breathalisers, warning triangles, only apply to locally registered cars.

Once your car is compliment with your own local laws .. it'll be compliant with the laws of the country you are visiting, with the obvious exception of lights, ... buts that's just common courtisy.

When did Ireland ratify Vienna Convention on Road Traffic?

And even if Ireland did, it would also depend if in the local law it is the car or the driver that is required to have a hi-vis vest etc. If it is the car's equipment, Vienna convention applies. If it is the driver, it does not apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

mikeecho wrote: »

I'd rather not have that conversation with a French police officer on the side of a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Philb76 wrote: »
    We have taken the car to France for holidays few times just go into Halfords and buy the reflectors they are only a few euro

with respect , you're answering a question he didn't ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

From http://www.securite-routiere.gouv.fr/connaitre-les-regles/questions-frequentes/questions-frequentes-sur-l-ethylotest

"L'éthylotest a été rendu obligatoire dans tous les véhicules terrestres à moteur par un décret publié au Journal officiel le jeudi 1er mars 2012."

So since 2012, you have to have a breathalyser kit. However:

"Un nouveau décret, paru au Journal officiel le vendredi 1er mars 2013, maintient l'obligation de posséder un éthylotest mais en supprime la sanction en cas de défaut de possession de l'éthylotest : les conducteurs doivent continuer à posséder un éthylotest dans leur véhicule, mais en son absence ils ne seront pas sanctionnés."

The obligation to have a breathalyser kit is maintained, but you can no longer be fined for it.
    Basically if you're stopped and you don't have, you'll be reminded that you need to have one. However they will be strict about the hi-vis gear, which must be accessible to the driver before they get out of the car (if it's fecked into the back of the boot under a load of gear, it's as if you didn't have it) and on paperwork.

My general experience of driving here, as both a tourist and from living were would be that if you drive a foreign reg'd car, you're less likely to be stopped (probably the hassle of speaking English), but as a local, if they do stop you, they will be quite thorough, and won't accept "ah shur I'll have it the next time".

grogi wrote: »
    When did Ireland ratify Vienna Convention on Road Traffic?

And even if Ireland did, it would also depend if in the local law it is the car or the driver that is required to have a hi-vis vest etc. If it is the car's equipment, Vienna convention applies. If it is the driver, it does not apply.

The driver is required to have the hi viz & breathaliser kit.

I don't think peugeot sell new cars (even in france) with a breathaliser.

Advertisement