Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time car insurance and buying a car

Options
  • 15-05-2018 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,414 ✭✭✭✭

Just passed the Driving Test this morning.

So looking at getting a car.

Im currently a named driver on a policy.

If I buy a car this week, can I get insurance to drive it home or do I need to get my own insurance policy first and then get the car.

From what Ive seen of Insurace quotes they all want to know the make of the car.

Probably all obvious but there you go. For extra bonus points what car would you recommend, or did you buy.

Gor raibhg maith agat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,533 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You will need your own policy to drive it home.

Best option is to get a friend who has the driving other cars cover on their own policy to drive it home for you or else get the seller to drop it to your house. Make sure you have secured insurance quotes for it before you buy, also run history checks to see that it's not an insurance write off and uninsurable.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Vw polo or seat Ibiza. Modern enough and only 1.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Vw polo or seat Ibiza. Modern enough and only 1.2.

Would have to disagree, the 1.2 isn’t a good engine IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Dont ever buy a car without getting and insurance quote on it first, you could end up selling the car straight away as you cant get or afford the insurance. Also, if you are getting a friend to drive it home using their insurance to drive other vehicles, make sure they are actually insured to do so as some policies insist that the car must be insured while others don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,414 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Thanks lads, appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭daheff

Danzy wrote: »
    Thanks lads, appreciated.

Also get a statement from your current insurer for how long you have been named driver. Some companies will give you some credit for it. Off top of my head Posr insurance may give you 1 year ncb for 1 year named driver (might only be half a year...been awhile since i did it).

Advertisement