Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hot water question

Options
  • 15-05-2018 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

hi,
    i have an oil burner that heats the radiators and the hot water at the same time. the hot water tank also has an immersion. looking at my setup there is a hand valve higher up in the pipework that i assume if i closed it would just allow water to circulate in the tank and isolate the rads. there is however a motorized valve that allows the water into the tank can anyone answer the following;

1. does my assumption that this valve up higher in hot press would isolate the rads?

2. any danger in closing this?

3. what is the purpose of the motorized valve?

thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭John.G

hi,
    i have an oil burner that heats the radiators and the hot water at the same time. the hot water tank also has an immersion. looking at my setup there is a hand valve higher up in the pipework that i assume if i closed it would just allow water to circulate in the tank and isolate the rads. there is however a motorized valve that allows the water into the tank can anyone answer the following;

1. does my assumption that this valve up higher in hot press would isolate the rads?

2. any danger in closing this?

3. what is the purpose of the motorized valve?

thanks for any help

I wouldn't touch that valve, it looks as if you have a vented heating system and if you have; then that valve IMO, shouldnt be there at all. Have you got none, or one or two tanks in the "attic".? have you a expansion vessel anywhere in the system(s)?.

The motorized valve is used to regulate the (domestic) hot water temperature and is controlled by the thermostat shown in your photo which is set normally at 60C. The motorized valve has a set of contacts which may (or may not) be utilized to fire up the boiler on hot water demand. You may have another one or two of these motorized valves to control your heating systems, this is known as a zoned system.

Advertisement