Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin airport on a bike

Options
  • 15-05-2018 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

Have to go on a one day one night trip tomorrow and my car is out of action so might take the bike. Never done it. So wondering about where to park (do I have to pay for parking) and what do I do with my gear. Is there anywhere to store helmet and boots etc or will I have to wear my boots and put helmet in hand luggage.
    It's a sports bike and I have no storage on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

There are locker services available

https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the-airport/useful-information/additional-facilities

Not 100% sure on parking. I think there is a spot within the short term where there are a few spaces you could park it. But try lock it down to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭ratracer

I’ve never left my bike there, but have always seen plenty of them in the multi story car park when going on hols etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

there's always bikes in the short term multi storey. Not sure if you can sneak past the barrier though.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Wheeker

I have done it a few times now & it is so convenient & easy. You can indeed get past the 3/4 barriers. Park @ Short-term Parking, Terminal 1- Ground Floor & Terminal 2- 2nd Floor(?). You will see all the other bikes there, there are rails to chain the bike to. AFAIK it is absoultely fine to park here "unofficially".:o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I've done it loads of times, but not in about 4 years. You can park for free, used to be a space just inside the short term and you could drive between bollards but it's blocked off now. Basically, park it in some corner, as long as you're not blocking anything or taking a space, you're grand. I used to have panniers and a top box, so was dead handy putting gear into there, but lockers sound good. Just a pain if it's raining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I go by bike to the airport just last weekend and go very often. Plenty of space on the ground floor at terminal 1 in short stay. Barriers allow you to pass both in and out without paying.

I also saw some spaces in Terminal 2 Car Park but never used it myself so cannot comment on access.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 de_Selby

Both T1 and T2 are free, just go past the barriers.

I haven't used the left luggage though, just left my gear in a givi box.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bykobap

I assume this is still acceptable practice, going away for few days and it would be handy not to depend on the bus punctuality.

Tia.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Yep. Was last in there 3-5 May.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bykobap

Left the bike for two weeks and no bother whatsoever. Lots of space and poles to secure it to.
    There was at least 50 bikes there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Lock your helmet to the bike and put your gloves under the seat. No one will interfere with them.

I do it all the time for overnights for work. You'll see from the other bikes where you can park in the T1 or T2 short term. I usually wear a leather jacket and waterproof over trousers. Then lock the helmet with the helmet lock, and put the gloves and water proofs under the seat, or wherever you have storage. Wear your jacket for extra cool points :)

In the car park, the usual rule applies: don't take the piss and no one cares.

Don't block anyone, don't park anywhere you'll be in the way and don't forget to put a lock on it.

Advertisement