Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posh bike shed for front garden

Options
  • 15-05-2018 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

We live in a terraced house with a bigish front garden. We have had bike knocked from the front garden. I’m looking for suggestions for a really nice looking bicycle hut or shed that will hold 4 bikes. Happy to hear about off the shelf sheds or joiners that would do one up. Google hasn’t thrown up much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Whatever you get make it is as bomb-proof as possible as it will essentially be a big shiny "rob me" beacon for thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,233 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

A lot of bikes nicked from sheds these days too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

What attributes make a bike shed posh?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

You mean one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Gangu

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    What attributes make a bike shed posh?

It doesn’t look like a tin box or Tupperware

• Advertisement

Whatever you get make it is as bomb-proof as possible as it will essentially be a big shiny "rob me" beacon for thieves.

The bikes will be in the front garden so no choice really. Will lock them to the shed if it has that functionality

Cyclepath wrote: »
    You mean one of these?

I spotted those - no dealer in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Have a look at TriMetals, I wanted to buy an Asgard shed but they won't deliver to Ireland. BioHort do have dealers in Ireland AFAIK, but very expensive.

That's a TriMetals shed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’d imagine a well placed sensor light and cctv camera would be sufficient deterrent to prevent theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

These look good. Thinking about one for the kids bikes.

http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/3-to-4-bike-storage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

AmberGold wrote: »
    These look good. Thinking about one for the kids bikes.

http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/3-to-4-bike-storage

I've been thinking about this for a while. The drawback with the asgardsss is that you can get only one bike out without having to move others. This makes it less convenient to use and will therefore lead to it not being used at all or to the bikes being left there because it's too much hassle to take them out.

From the convenience point of view, you really want something that will keep you dry while getting the bike ready to go. If you're a backpack on back cyclist, this is less of an issue but if you use paniers, bar bag or any such stuff, you'll spend time at the bike and in the rain.

I'm leaning towards a traditional wooden shed with sheffield stands installed inside. Rather than a full size sheffield stand, you can get a narrow sheffield stand with free delivery to Dublin.

A 6'x6' shed with two stands will just accommodate 4 bikes with two easily accessible while the other two will need bikes to be moved for access. You still have room for a bit of shelving for parts, tools etc and you're in out of the rain while getting organised...

It's probably unlikely to be enforced (IANAL), but you need planning for a shed in front garden. Whereas back garden is exempt AFAIK. A full height shed is more likely to attract controversy IMO. Also might attract more unwanted attention from burglars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

A lean-to on the side of your house with anchors drilled into the wall to lock onto might be good either. Depending on what your house is made out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

_Brian wrote:
    I’d imagine a well placed sensor light and cctv camera would be sufficient deterrent to prevent theft.

Nope, not a real deterrent. Hoods, scarves covering their face or they simply turn the camera away, place a bag over it or break it. A camera is useful but thefts still occur with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Granite Head

It's probably unlikely to be enforced (IANAL), but you need planning for a shed in front garden.

Don't be so sure about not being enforced - neighbours got us to move our shed from the front garden - unfortunately they had right on their side. We don't speak now:mad:

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

It's probably unlikely to be enforced (IANAL), but you need planning for a shed in front garden. Whereas back garden is exempt AFAIK. A full height shed is more likely to attract controversy IMO. Also might attract more unwanted attention from burglars.
    Don't be so sure about not being enforced - neighbours got us to move our shed from the front garden - unfortunately they had right on their side. We don't speak now:mad:

On the other hand, you could probably park an old van in your front garden and use that as the bike shed. No planning issues there, you just have to submit an annual Vehicle Off Road declaration...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

cdaly_ wrote: »
    On the other hand, you could probably park an old van in your front garden and use that as the bike shed. No planning issues there, you just have to submit an annual Vehicle Off Road declaration...

Preferably a hiace. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

I would never dream of leaving my bikes in the front garden, but you may have no other option?

The suggestion of setting the bike shed into the ground would be good, (but costly) - and then id be parking my car over it!!! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

tomasrojo wrote: »
    A lean-to on the side of your house ...
    OP in a terraced house.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

cdaly_ wrote: »

Also against Dublin Council regulations, a vehicle can't be in a driveway for >9 months. Not sure about other councils.

OP in a terraced house.

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

_Brian wrote: »

Nope: Shed = Valuable items inside and camera no deterrent to a forensically aware scumbag thief

On the otherhand, land mines around shed and novichok /polonium on the handle may lead to them being identified

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Put bike racks, set properly into a hard stand, inside the shed, anyway. An Irish company sell Sheffield stands (the standard ones used by the councils (as well as more stylish options like the City Giro) https://www.pittman.ie/city-giro-bicycle-stand.html

450952.jpg

Some of my neighbours have bike stands properly installed on hard stands - some with not particularly elegant bike sheds, some nekkid as a jaybird. Do an image search for "bike shed" and "bicycle shed" for a start. I quite like this one (found on Pinterest, yuck) but the flat roof would be a turn-off in our generously watered climate

a8964dbb57a0a7c4525a41162edd5764.jpg

I'm wondering if the imminent arrival of dockless bikes will lower the rate of bike theft due to less demand. Hope so!

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Nope: Shed = Valuable items inside and camera no deterrent to a forensically aware scumbag thief

On the otherhand, land mines around shed and novichok /polonium on the handle may lead to them being identified

Here's mine. Motorbike grade chain inside, drilled outside and wrapped around railing and back in

4.5 ft deep. 5 bikes

5ft high at highest

Ballyfree garden sheds

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

Are you intent on keeping the bikes at the front? I think no matter what kind of shed or contraption you install it will be easily accessible to anyone wanting to rob whatever might be in it, and it is really just an invitation. Living in a terrace house myself, I know it's a pain in the hoop bringing bikes through the house but there is far less chance of them being stolen if they are stored out the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

10' shipping container / welfare container and put on some nice cladding. When the complaints come in it will be easily moved / sold on. Shouldn't cost the earth and would be quite secure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Doc07

Roadtoad wrote: »

Nice sheds. For best effect while browsing that site say ‘oohh...suit you sir’ like the Tailors in the Fast show skectch

Advertisement