Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom Power for condenser Mic?

Options
  • 14-05-2018 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question!!
    I recently purchased a "Rode NT-1A" condenser microphone, mainly for the purpose of doing a bit of home recording using a Focusrite Scarlett interface and laptop. However, I was also hoping I could use the Mic with just an amplifier (Roland Street Cube) and a looping station (Boss RC-30) for acoustic guitar and vocals.The microphone uses "phantom" power (which the Focusrite interface and Looping Station) supports, but the amplifier (Street Cube) does not support "Phantom" power. Does this mean I simply can't use the Mic with this amp or is there any way around this? I'm clueless on these matters!! All help greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭leonffrench

You need a preamp for the mic then plug the output of the preamp into the main amp. That can provide phantom power and you can get them in a small enough unit for probably 50 quid

I have a Samson C Valve which is a great little unit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Your Focusrite Scarlett has Line Out, and the Roland Cube Street has a Mic/Line channel, so I think that would work. If you're thinking of busking, however, that would mean you would have to find a portable power source for the Focusrite, or add a phantom PSU such as this (€29), then in to the Mic/Line channel on the Cube.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭tadgho

bnt wrote: »
    Your Focusrite Scarlett has Line Out, and the Roland Cube Street has a Mic/Line channel, so I think that would work. If you're thinking of busking, however, that would mean you would have to find a portable power source for the Focusrite, or add a phantom PSU such as this (€29), then in to the Mic/Line channel on the Cube.

Thanks for replies folks, much appreciated! I've since tried to use the microphone and record through the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Interface and while the guitar plugged into one channel sounds ok, the microphone sounds very, very muted (almost no sound) even with the gain turned up fully when I sing into it. I'm thinking it's perhaps an issue with my laptop (It's a bog standard laptop that may not be suitable for recording??) I'm using Audacity as the DAW..anyone know what the issue might be? All settings on Audacity are set the same as I've always used with my previous microphone which always worked fine and I've pressed the 48v switch on the Focusrite...

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭PopSensyDad

Hi, I just blah.

Any PC should be fine if it runs the required environment. My shabby old netbook works no problem with 6i6. If mic changes, input level changes too... but very muted is bit strange.

Just in case. NT1A has cardioid polar pattern, its a directional mic. When you give a sound to the back, it won't pick up well. You will sing to the front with using a proper microphone lead.

Otherwise, too many possibilities for it. You might check the audio input level too low at the windows device setup? (sound con > device > property) I think 2i2 does not have dedicated control software.

Back to the getting started manual to check the configuration is always a good idea. Using the ProTools came with it may be also good. so on, so on... and don't forget, there is a customer support. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Audacity will only allow 1 input at a time I think. Plug in only the mic, turn on phantom power and see what happens. If it works and you need 2 inputs, use Reaper or a different DAW

• Advertisement
Advertisement