Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About to start shaving my head

Options
  • 14-05-2018 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭

So I've been going bald for ages now, noticed it when I was 25 I think (16 years ago now!) and more or less straight away went to the barbers and got a blade 1. Fortunately I could get away with it, and since then have been doing it myself with an electric trimmer and blade 0, or whatever the lowest setting is.

I've been thinking that I'm going to have to shave my head completely at some point, with a razor, and with a foreign holiday coming up in July figured that might be the best time to try it.

The problem is, I'm not sure what to do! Do I just use my electric shaver on its lowest settings, then get to it with a razor? If so, can anyone recommend a razor? How often do you have to change the blades?

I'm presuming the first shave will be the most difficult/longest but as long as I do it daily after that it should be quick enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I had a cordless Remington for a long time but until I bought a Wahl 5 star Corded balding clippers I never got the real close shave that I wanted.
    They are a bit of a pain with the cord but the results are worth it, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

I bought one of these and it gives a great shave.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I have used the Wahl Balding clippers and they give a good shave but as mentioned the cord is a pain.

I moved onto a foil shaver a few months ago and it's a much better job imo.

It's a closer shave than a clippers but I get no nicks or cuts that could happen with a mach 3 type razor.

They are rechargeable and some can be used in a shower/wet shave.

Amazon sell lots of them and a very good one can be gotten for less than €100.

Of all the different ways I've tried foil shaver has given the best results.I shave the head every 2nd or 3rd day and get no irritation and only takes 5 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭SteM

SteM wrote: »

I was tempted by that but went with the foil shaver as I thought maybe wrongly that there would be less strokes with a foil shaver.if that makes sense:D

I used this until I lost it on holiday and it was excellent.
    link

Now using this one, I preferred the Andis but this is wet or dry shave.It gives good results but doesn't seem as powerful.
    link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Worztron

Passenger wrote: »
    I bought one of these and it gives a great shave.

I've been considering buying one of those Skull Shavers.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    I've been considering buying one of those Skull Shavers.

Mine is still going strong anyway.

Mine is still going strong anyway.

Good to know. BTW - can you also shave your face with it?

Edit: Did you get the silver/gold/platinum one?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    Good to know. BTW - can you also shave your face with it?

Edit: Did you get the silver/gold/platinum one?

Gold - with the rinse stand and travel case. You get a cleaning brush too.

Technically you can use it on your face. I don't find it as effective however. It probably depends on your hair type.

Technically you can use it on your face. I don't find it as effective however. It probably depends on your hair type.

Cheers Passenger.

• Advertisement

What advantage does the skull Shaver have over the likes of a Mac 3 or one of those types razors?

Less chance of getting a kick on your head,rash etc ?

yabadabado wrote: »
    What advantage does the skull Shaver have over the likes of a Mac 3 or one of those types razors?

Less chance of getting a kick on your head,rash etc ?

Well it probably depends on your preference really - dry or wet shave. If you have sensitive skin or various lumps or bumps dry/electric is probably the less irritating way to go. You can wet shave with the Skull Shaver too but it's not as effective imo.

Well it probably depends on your preference really - dry or wet shave. If you have sensitive skin or various lumps or bumps dry/electric is probably the less irritating way to go. You can wet shave with the Skull Shaver too but it's not as effective imo.

I was actually thinking of a different shaver, name escapes me but its a wet shaver.
    Edit:Headblade was what I was thinking of.
    I've tried several shavers at and dry but recently bit the bullet and went with Mac3. It's a grand job and much easier than I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I've tried several shavers at and dry but recently bit the bullet and went with Mac3. It's a grand job and much easier than I thought.
    If you ever get tired of the cost of blades, look at a Double Edged Safety Razor. I got this. Already had close to a 100 blades that I had gotten for about £10. With the MAac3, it would tear a bit of skin off my head if it encountered a spot, but the safety razor just politely nicks the spot off cleanly. It's not a bad razer, but will probably upgrade to soemthing in a few months, or for xmas.

Started using it this year, after having used Wilkinson Swords (which themselves gave a better shave than Max3) for 2 or 3 years, and Mac3 for maybe 12 years.

I have used DE razor and blades for about 5+ years .
    I use feather blades with Merkur razor but will stick with the Mach 3 on my head.
    Haven't used a Mach 3 on my face since I went to DE bar when I'm travelling or in a major hurry.Dont really like the shave it gives but for the head it's perfect.Results are good and it's very quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have used DE razor and blades for about 5+ years
    Off topic, but what DE razor do you use? Looking to changing mine.

the_syco wrote: »
    Off topic, but what DE razor do you use? Looking to changing mine.

I use a Merkur, I'm not 100% on which model but Iirc it's the Progress .

Very happy with it ,nice weight to it and very comfortable in the hand.

Advertisement