Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling part of a Business

Options
  • 14-05-2018 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all

I have a limited company and number of business operating as part of the company.

One of which is an internet booking service, I was hoping to sell this part of the business as an "intellectual property" sale i.e website, branding, domain names without selling any of my company, there would be some goodwill included in the sale too; upcoming bookings, client contact list. Theres no stock, inventory or anything tangible.

I was thinking of selling the IP to the other party as a website for €x amount+vat but I was told that goodwill might be considered as capital gains.. if thats the case, could I sell the IP as a transaction+ vat and sell the goodwill separately for €1 ?

thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 crkcvnirl

Gerryhide wrote: »
    Hi all

I have a limited company and number of business operating as part of the company.

One of which is an internet booking service, I was hoping to sell this part of the business as an "intellectual property" sale i.e website, branding, domain names without selling any of my company, there would be some goodwill included in the sale too; upcoming bookings, client contact list. Theres no stock, inventory or anything tangible.

I was thinking of selling the IP to the other party as a website for €x amount+vat but I was told that goodwill might be considered as capital gains.. if thats the case, could I sell the IP as a transaction+ vat and sell the goodwill separately for €1 ?

thanks a mill

You've an interesting problem all right but I'd suggest you speak with an accountant / solicitor knowledgeable in this area on how best to proceed.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

'You' don't sell anything, the assets belong to the company. Talk to an accountant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Gerryhide

'You' don't sell anything, the assets belong to the company. Talk to an accountant.

Cheers, I was considering to sell it as a sale on behalf of the company, not me personally. A company asset is sold, sale/funds go to the company?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Why do you think you wouldn't have to pay capital gains tax?

There is a tax break in relation to intellectual property which you may be adverting to. This is really a benefit for the purchaser rather than the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Isn't the new CG rate 20% for a business sale of less than €1mill ? instead of selling it the way you mentioned with vat at 23 % ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Buttercake wrote: »
    Isn't the new CG rate 20% for a business sale of less than €1mill ? instead of selling it the way you mentioned with vat at 23 % ?
    Simply put, if a company sells an asset at a profit there is a mixture of both capital gains tax and corporation profits tax. Then, when the company pays the shareholders some/all of that profit as a dividend they pay income tax, etc. on it. OP needs to go talk to his/her accountant.

Advertisement