Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney Platform / Scaffold

Options
  • 14-05-2018 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Is it possible to rent a Platform that allows me to work safely on a bungalow chimney?

I've tried all of the usual hire places, but can't find anything suitable...

any help greatly appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

IME, the cost of renting scaffolding outweighs the savings from doing the work yourself (due to insurance).

If you know what you're at with it, there's usually plenty of scaffolding for sale on DoneDeal?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Krazzzzy Kay

Sleepy wrote: »
    IME, the cost of renting scaffolding outweighs the savings from doing the work yourself (due to insurance).

If you know what you're at with it, there's usually plenty of scaffolding for sale on DoneDeal?

My insurance or the renters insurance? 

I've never used scaffolding before, But I'm handy enough, so you think it would be more cost effective to just buy some scaffolding on DoneDeal?

Will I be able to set up the scaffolding so that I have safe easy access to the chimney?

Thanks for the input 8-)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If you're renting from a Scaffolding company, they have to include the cost of insurance in the quote.

Make sure you know what you're doing with scaffolding before looking into buying it though: there's a reason the scaffolding companys have to pay such high insurance to rent it out: working on it can be dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is it possible to rent a Platform that allows me to work safely on a bungalow chimney?

First question is what work you are doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

mickdw wrote: »

+1

What about a cherry picker?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Aye what is in your doing. I would have thought roofing ladders would give appropriate access to top of ridge. (Ridge ladder)

I'm planning to remove the chimney...

from reading previous threads on the subject, I suspect that will be met with disapproval as something that should not be attempted by a DIYer :ermm:

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Had mine removed recently.
    They used something like one of these...
    http://www.heightforhire.com/access-hire/articulated-boom
    Scissor one might do you if the chiimney is on the end of the gable

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    Had mine removed recently.
    They used something like one of these...
    http://www.heightforhire.com/access-hire/articulated-boom
    Scissor one might do you if the chiimney is on the end of the gable
    Didn't think to use something Like that, I wonder would I need any sort of licence to rent one of those and would the cost justify doing the work myself.

Unfortunately it's in the center of a hip roof, so the scissor wont cut the mustard. 

Do you mind me asking how much you paid to have the chimney removed, was it a bungalow and how long did it take them?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Didn't think to use something Like that, I wonder would I need any sort of licence to rent one of those and would the cost justify doing the work myself.

Do you mind me asking how much you paid to have the chimney removed, was it a bungalow and how long did it take them?

I had the work done as part of an over all refurbishment.
    It was a semi detatched 2 storey (with attic)
    While the cost was itemised from over all costs, it may not reflect what you are doing.
    Anyway - it was about 5k i think. It included making good roof, ceilings and floors. Creating some partitions on the 2 floors below (ensuite and downstairs toilet) and any plaster work associated. It also included inserting 2 steel beams in the attic - these were nothing to do with the chimney, but for future attic conversion.

Just to say.... I dont think there's any problem with a DIYer taking a chimney out - there's no great skill to it.... BUT You should get an engineer to look at it before you take it out. He will tell you if it is safe or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You need to ply out the roof surface around the chimney regardless.
    I'd just get a scaffold company to scaffold it out then work away.

We've hired a Structural Engineer, gonna see what he comes up with and go from there, we may end up hiring a builder, if I can get the work done at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the info 8-)

You need to ply out the roof surface around the chimney regardless.
    I'd just get a scaffold company to scaffold it out then work away.
    So we got some quotes and I can't justify paying what they're asking :(

jmBuildExt
    I would like to ply out the roof surface too though, are there any guides to doing this? how would I secure the ply to the roof :ermm:

or option two, if it's around the same cost, point me in the direction of a 
    scaffold company to scaffold it out for me :D

Advertisement