Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring dog out with you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I've mentioned it at home to my missus recently since we both ride. I have plenty of carrying capacity on my GS Adventure and she shot it down straight away. The biggest concern is we (mainly she) couldn't live with loosing our dog in a accident.

No amount of protective gear would save the pup in a small accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'll take my kids out on the bike.
    I'll take my friends out on the bike.
    I'll take the girlfriend out on the bike.

I will never take my car out on the bike. Sure it's adorable, but I know I'd never ever ever forgive myself if something happened. There's no helmets or protection for dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I dunno about that.
    450739.jpg

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I dunno about that.
    450739.jpg

His / her jaw will get torn off in a crash. It'd be a horrible way to go. :(

Even after googling it there, I see loads of helmets for dogs going for €4 to €50. All made out of cheap plastic, a crappy lid and no face protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

What about a dog trailer, which would be much safer?

Yorky wrote: »
    What about a dog trailer, which would be much safer?

I have a feeling bike trailers aren't legal in Ireland. Perhaps someone could confirm ?

D3V!L wrote: »
    I have a feeling bike trailers aren't legal in Ireland. Perhaps someone could confirm ?

Bit of a check up on this, funnily enough I was looking this up in work only a week ago.

https://www.magireland.org/2014/news-media/motorcycle-sidecar-trailer-legislation/

Its legal up to certain restrictions:
    First the basics:

A motorcycle may not be used to draw any passenger in a trailer.
    A motorcycle may not be used to draw a trailer with an unladen weight exceeding 250 kilograms.
    A motorcycle may not be used to draw more than one trailer.
    If you want to tow a trailer you can, provided that:

The motorcycle engine is 125cc or larger.
    The overall width of the trailer does not exceed 1 metre.
    The distance between the rear axle of the motorcycle and the back of the trailer does not exceed 2.5 metres.
    The motorcycle is clearly labeled to indicate the weight of the heaviest trailer which it’s designed to tow, or two thirds of the weight of the motorcycle in running order, whichever is less.
    The laden weight of the trailer does not exceed 150 kilograms or the weight specified by the manufacturer, whichever is less.

I'd potentially consider letting the dog sit in a sidecar, but mostly due to the greatly restricted speed and a lot more care required just for balance reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

There's a guy I've seen in the naas area that brings his dog, he seems to have a macguyvered his own carrier system out of a basket.

Dublin-Dog.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Bit of a check up on this, funnily enough I was looking this up in work only a week ago.

https://www.magireland.org/2014/news-media/motorcycle-sidecar-trailer-legislation/

Its legal up to certain restrictions:

I'd potentially consider letting the dog sit in a sidecar, but mostly due to the greatly restricted speed and a lot more care required just for balance reasons.

I’d read that from the RSA too. Are there any bike trailer suppliers in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Goose81

zubair wrote: »
    There's a guy I've seen in the naas area that brings his dog, he seems to have a macguyvered his own carrier system out of a basket.

Dublin-Dog.jpg

What an absolute dickhead as is anyone that would bring an animal on a bike. If he crashes at any speed on that the poor little dog will be mangled. That's really annoyed me seeing that, a ****ing wicker basket

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Compared to a car, the risk per mile and the additional harm per incident is too high on a bike for me to be comfortable to bring an animal on a bike under virtually any circumstance. It ain't my place to discourage anyone from doing it but I would never endorse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

I would be more concerned with the dog distracting me, trying to jump off, or the dog getting stressed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Sorry ,thought we were talking about visually offensive girlfriends/wives............:o

:p

Advertisement