Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lexus GS300H 161 model opinions?

Options
  • 13-05-2018 10:20pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So my girlfriends dad is looking for a new motor and was out looking at a GS300H the other day and liked it. Specifically this one:

http://usedcars.lexus.ie/pages/assured-used-car-details/a0Z0X00000WhWyC

Anyone have any opinions on this?

Essentially he's looking for an executive saloon type car. A lazy barge. No diesels allowed, and he covers little mileage. I actually think one of these is a good option, the hybrid is nice as is the CVT as being sporty is not a requirement.

Any opinions on the price? It's not the top of the line model, and the price seems comparable to others I can find online. It looks like the dealer got it in March, and it's been online for the last month or so. I suspect he'll be looking to buy something soon.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thanks guys. Great stuff, food for thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The ES used to be just a glorified Camry (these days it's a glorified Avalon) and is front wheel drive, don't think it will have the Germans quaking in their boots.

But it should make the GS cheaper second hand for sure.

Also if importing is an option then hybrids usually command lower VRT due to the hybrid VRT rebate of 2.5k I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Really nice colour combination on the interior of that one you have linked to.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

bazz26 wrote: »

As said ES is not a worthy GS replacement so if anything may slow the depreciation on the GS

I'd doubt it, the current model GS hasn't exactly been a sales success in Europe. It feels more like a bigger IS than a smaller LS like the 05 to 11 model GS. I cannot see the ES being a success in Europe either but the current GS will just be forgotten about.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've floated the idea is a UK car. There's certainly great value to be had, but I'm not sure he'll be up for it. As for the car I linked, what do you guys think?

Cons I can see are the mileage, not too bad to be fair. The spec is low on it. No navigation, small infotainment system screen. 17” wheels, no keyless entry. How much room is there to haggle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

I've floated the idea is a UK car. There's certainly great value to be had, but I'm not sure he'll be up for it. As for the car I linked, what do you guys think?

Cons I can see are the mileage, not too bad to be fair. The spec is low on it. No navigation, small infotainment system screen. 17” wheels, no keyless entry. How much room is there to haggle?

The car you quoted is more than likely a uk import, irish lexus dealers are getting them in from the uk. Get the reg and check it.

• Advertisement

kermitpwee wrote: »
    The car you quoted is more than likely a uk import, irish lexus dealers are getting them in from the uk. Get the reg and check it.

The reg is:

161D25582

Number seems low for an import if I'm right in thinking that any imports after the 161 term would just get the next highest number? And the dash appears in kms although being digital I suppose it's easy enough to change the readout. I'll make sure to confirm with the dealer that it is an Irish car.

The speedo on that one looks like it's in kmph only which would make it Irish, motorcheck.ie doesn't list it as an import either.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Does he want the size of a GS?
    Would say an IS work for him? The newer ones are nicely bigger than the older shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

If he's getting on in years he might appreciate an NX for high seating position.

Bigus wrote: »
    If he's getting on in years he might appreciate an NX for high seating position.

Ha, I'll have to show him this thread, definitely not there yet!

And thanks again for all the help lads, it's really appreciated.

As for the size, I did talk to him about this actually as I would have thought he didn't want the a bigger car. But he does want to be able to do a road trip with 4 adults in the car in comfort. That'll probably be a rare event, but how and ever.

We're going to head out on Wednesday afternoon to look at the one I linked originally. If it were me I'd be booking a flight to the UK, but he's just not interested really.

I'm more used to looking at junkers to buy rather than anything this new. I'd be pretty confident it'll be well sorted, but I'll take some time to go around the car and look at the body work and such. Look at the service history (Looking at the service manual, it should have had around 3 services so far, first after 6 months, second after 12 months and third after 12 months.)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Ha, I'll have to show him this thread, definitely not there yet!

And thanks again for all the help lads, it's really appreciated.

As for the size, I did talk to him about this actually as I would have thought he didn't want the a bigger car. But he does want to be able to do a road trip with 4 adults in the car in comfort. That'll probably be a rare event, but how and ever.

We're going to head out on Wednesday afternoon to look at the one I linked originally. If it were me I'd be booking a flight to the UK, but he's just not interested really.

I'm more used to looking at junkers to buy rather than anything this new. I'd be pretty confident it'll be well sorted, but I'll take some time to go around the car and look at the body work and such. Look at the service history (Looking at the service manual, it should have had around 3 services so far, first after 6 months, second after 12 months and third after 12 months.)

What about all those companies where you order what you want and they find the car in uk, buy it, ship, do vrt etc.
    Takes the hassle away, but you will get a proper spec car. That GS looks nice, but it is really really very paddy specish for Lexus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Does he have sat nav in his current car? Does he actually need it? Very few people in this country need navigation and on the rare occasions they do, Google maps is bang up to date (unlike most car systems) and readily available.

Does he want bigger wheels? Is he looking for something sporty or comfortable? I think they are your list of 'cons', what does he actually want in a car?

Does he have sat nav in his current car? Does he actually need it? Very few people in this country need navigation and on the rare occasions they do, Google maps is bang up to date (unlike most car systems) and readily available.

Does he want bigger wheels? Is he looking for something sporty or comfortable? I think they are your list of 'cons', what does he actually want in a car?

All fair points! He wants a comfy executive saloon. Performance is not a requirement, nor are bigger wheels. He's coming from a 2006 Merc E class, 3 litre petrol which I believe was a company car at one point. He's not a car person at all, hence me getting involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

All fair points! He wants a comfy executive saloon. Performance is not a requirement, nor are bigger wheels. He's coming from a 2006 Merc E class, 3 litre petrol which I believe was a company car at one point. He's not a car person at all, hence me getting involved.

Then the Lexus you linked above probably suits his needs perfectly ;)

Lads, thanks for all the help. It really was very much appreciated. I went out with him this afternoon and we bought it. Lovely yoke, and even if the spec is on the low side for this model it was still great inside. Heated and cooled seats. Lovely to sit in, and great condition. Happy days. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

It should prove to be a lot more reliable than an equivalent diesel Merc or BMW.

Advertisement