Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil filter sizes

Options
  • 13-05-2018 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone explain the difference in size of oil filters?

I was changing the Avensis oil this week, and decided to do the wife's X Trail while I was in the humour.

The Nissan's filter is 1/3 the size of the Toyotas.
    Both 2 litre engines. (Nissan is petrol, though)

https://i.imgur.com/HWQZzYO.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

The petrol Toyota ones are the same size as that little one back as far as the 90s. Although the newer petrol ones have a paper insert type now. Actually so do the diesels.

Diesel oil has to absorb more sh1te than petrol oil which is why it's usually a higher spec. As a result the filter needs to be bigger to catch more dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Necessary oil pressure in different engines also dictates oil filter size so no two engines are going to be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Necessary oil pressure in different engines also dictates oil filter size so no two engines are going to be the same.

An odd one is Hondas, they almost all use the same sized filter across the entire petrol range.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,536 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

An odd one is Hondas, they almost all use the same sized filter across the entire petrol range.
    Toyota do the same. This one fits plenty of them, and some sites claim it also fits citroen, ford, john deere, few motorbikes, hino trucks and even more. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

joujoujou wrote: »
    Toyota do the same. This one fits plenty of them, and some sites claim it also fits citroen, ford, john deere, few motorbikes, hino trucks and even more. :)

Nissan are the same, the same oil filter that does the Z also does the old Almera 1.4, the Infiniti Q45 and many more in between

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,561 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

joujoujou wrote: »
    Does it fit Lexuses?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,536 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Nissan are the same, the same oil filter that does the Z also does the old Almera 1.4, the Infiniti Q45 and many more in between
    I'd say everyone's the same, just talked to my work colleague last night - he had a big problem to find an oil filter to US import 3.0 V6 Probe at some stage - finally found that the one for Berlingo was 100% identical. :D
    ELM327 wrote: »
    Does it fit Lexuses?
    Lexi. :p;)

Yes, it does. The same link you quoted. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

The 02 range diesel Toyota is huge compared to any other Iv seen

Advertisement