Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless CCTV Options

Options
  • 13-05-2018 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭

I am looking at putting in a camera at my front door and would like it to be compatible with Apple HomeKit.

I am a little confused as to what to go for ... I was thinking of replacing one of the outside lights with the Netatmo Presence

https://www.netatmo.com/en-US/product/security/presence

I did consider the Logitech Circle but i'd need to find a new mount position and cable it.

I have a decent wifi signal (Linksys Velop) beside the front door.

Anyone have an suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

I went with the Netgear Arlo Pro 2. If using wirelessly, it works primarily by motion or audio detection. The video quality is decent enough during the day and night time. One drawback is that there is a slight lag between real time and displayed video - but this is to be expected. It's not that bad - perhaps 2-3 seconds. But it will auto record and notify you immediately.

I have linked the cameras to my Hue lighting system - so if for example, motion detection in the front drive way is triggered between 11pm and 6am - it will turn on the Hue hallway spotlights for x number of minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Veloce wrote: »
    I have linked the cameras to my Hue lighting system - so if for example, motion detection in the front drive way is triggered between 11pm and 6am - it will turn on the Hue hallway spotlights for x number of minutes.

Pretty cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭whippet

I went with the Netgear Arlo Pro 2. If using wirelessly, it works primarily by motion or audio detection. The video quality is decent enough during the day and night time. One drawback is that there is a slight lag between real time and displayed video - but this is to be expected. It's not that bad - perhaps 2-3 seconds. But it will auto record and notify you immediately.

I like the integration with Hue .. I am slowly getting more Hue lights around the house and am considering some out door ones.

On the Arlo ... do you have it battery powered or wired ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

I have my Arlo wireless / battery powered. Battery length is reasonable enough and if you have it placed in an area where there wouldn't be many detections (or using a reduced motion sensitivity) it should last a good few weeks I'd imagine - the only pain is having the take the cameras down to recharge but removing the camera itself is easy and charing time is resonably quick. If would would be planning on using it exclusively wireless then consider the distance from the base and number of walls blocking. My rear garden one is communicating with the base at the front of the house through various walls and it works - albeit on 1 bar out of 3 for wireless

If you use a full time wired connection - you can use the continous video recording and also create motion detection zones (a specific grid area over the camera's field of view). It is a pity you can't use this feature with it being wireless.

I like it's ability to be used a smart device and integrate with other things accordingly. The way you can create rules is also good - for example you might want to sit out in the garden and not have motion detection triggers - therefore you can set a rule up where it will just run whatever camera you want it to. Its a one button job to change rules. It does the job for what I need it for anyway. If you need something more comprehensive in terms of real time continuous recording then a fully wired system might be more suitable - but you may not get smart home integration with some of these systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭whippet

cheers for that .. I would be looking for wired power as I just don't like the idea of having to charge batterys. I have an outside light that I was thinking I could swap for the camera and keep the power cables as is .. but then I will need a new light and that is why I was looking at the Netatmo.

I should be good for WiFi as I have a Velop AP about 3m from the position of the light

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

whippet wrote: »
    cheers for that .. I would be looking for wired power as I just don't like the idea of having to charge batterys. I have an outside light that I was thinking I could swap for the camera and keep the power cables as is .. but then I will need a new light and that is why I was looking at the Netatmo.

I should be good for WiFi as I have a Velop AP about 3m from the position of the light

Given your requirements, I wouldn't recommend Arlo as it doesn't currently have an outdoor, waterproof power source.

Ones worth checking out would be:
    - Ring Floodlight Camera:
    https://shop.ring.com/collections/security-cams/products/floodlight-cam?variant=56549563083
    - Something like a Nest Outdoor Camera or Logitech Circle 2 outdoor camera, in conjunction with a separate outdoor motion activated light (you could split the power from that for the camera).

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭RonTon

Is there a big difference between the hd and the pro?
    The hd is on deal of the day on amazon.de

https://www.amazon.de/Netgear-VMS3430-100EUS-HD-Kamera-Sicherheitssystem-%C3%9Cberwachung-Nachtsicht/dp/B01DVVY81Q

I will have power where I want to put cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

Was looking on YouTube at yi outdoor cams

https://youtu.be/hx5k4dIbT3Y

This lad has all of the big brand WiFi cams the link is a test of them
    Have a look at his channel

nigwerwig wrote: »
    Was looking on YouTube at yi outdoor cams

https://youtu.be/hx5k4dIbT3Y

This lad has all of the big brand WiFi cams the link is a test of them
    Have a look at his channel

Cheers for that clip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

I had two of these installed on front and rear doors for last year

works well - lithium AA batteries still working after 11 months.

https://blinkforhome.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 JuanGreen

I've heard a lot of great things about the Netgear Arlo, and I read a few articles on it. How long have you been using it for? And is it better than any of your other cameras that you might have used in the past?

I picked up 2 reolink bullet cameras ..
    got a 4mp and a 5mp ,will probably arrive next week .
    Will post what I think of them ,I have power were cameras are going so should be easy setup...

Reolink Wireless Security Camera 5 Megapixels 4x Optical Zoom 2.4GHz/5GHz WiFi Dual Bands Bullet IP Video Monitoring Autofocuas Zoomable Outdoor Indoor Infrared Night Vision IPCam RLC-411WS-5MP https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077S2N6P6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_i_tnYdBbNQ04JAB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

RonTon wrote: »
    I picked up 2 reolink bullet cameras ..
    got a 4mp and a 5mp ,will probably arrive next week .
    Will post what I think of them ,I have power were cameras are going so should be easy setup...

Reolink Wireless Security Camera 5 Megapixels 4x Optical Zoom 2.4GHz/5GHz WiFi Dual Bands Bullet IP Video Monitoring Autofocuas Zoomable Outdoor Indoor Infrared Night Vision IPCam RLC-411WS-5MP https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077S2N6P6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_i_tnYdBbNQ04JAB

Have two of there poe cameras running for the last six months or so and find them great. Good quality, easy to set up, app works well and a good clear picture with picture quality easy adjusted if there are bandwidth issues.

Get push notifications and a 30sec clip emailed to me so can easily check if it is something I need to be worried about. Sensitivity settings need a bit of tweaking as they can be over sensitive.

Picked them up on a black Friday deal at £65 each.

Will look it the future at setting up some solution for recording, small nuc or something.

THE ALM wrote: »
    Have two of there poe cameras running for the last six months or so and find them great. Good quality, easy to set up, app works well and a good clear picture with picture quality easy adjusted if there are bandwidth issues.

Get push notifications and a 30sec clip emailed to me so can easily check if it is something I need to be worried about. Sensitivity settings need a bit of tweaking as they can be over sensitive.

Picked them up on a black Friday deal at £65 each.

Will look the future at setting up some solution for recording, small nuc or something.
    I looked at a good few options but settled on the reolink because they have memory card built in (I think they can be changed for bigger capacity) .
    Streaming large amounts of video data isn’t an option for me at moment with a data cap.
    Got them on a flash deal on Amazon ,both cameras together 4mp and 5mp cost total €194 delivered ...not too bad I thought
    Depending on how the night vision works out I might put an outside IR bulb

Got one setup today(5mp) Reolink WiFi bullet camera
    Feels a good solid made camera, picture is very good ,linked with WiFi no problem and seams to have a solid connection...
    The hole to drill is quiet big and the cable was just long enough, if the wall was a few cm thicker it would have been v awkward,the single cable splits into 3 ,had to duck tape them together when feeding thru hole ,then duck tape a wire flat to one of wires to pull it thru ,fiddley but not a big deal .
    Haven’t managed to setup the email alert yet ,it’s giving a fault ,not sure why but will give it a bit of time later ...

Advertisement