Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Make your own Kodi Box

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

MrVestek wrote:
    You can make your own in 30 minutes or less using a Raspberry Pi3!

I know folks that have done this and it works a dream, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I know folks that have done this and it works a dream, thank you

You're welcome!

If you have any questions let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

MrVestek wrote: »
    You're welcome!

If you have any questions let me know.

Hi, just wondering how difficult this would be for a newbie? I have an android box but its getting very sluggish.

wawaman wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering how difficult this would be for a newbie? I have an android box but its getting very sluggish.

Not difficult at all, in fact this entire series is built for beginners. I stay away from jargon and things like that.

Check out the first episode of Series 2 to get you started in preparing your SD card for booting up any OS (Kodi Included) here:

Once you're done with this you can move onto the tutorial mentioned above, which I'll link to again here:

Again if you have any questions just ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭fiacha

How does the Pi3 handle HEVC ?

I have been using Kodi / Libreelec on a Pi2 for a long time and it has been painless. Only issue is it can't handle HEVC content without major stuttering.

• Advertisement

fiacha wrote: »
    How does the Pi3 handle HEVC ?

I have been using Kodi / Libreelec on a Pi2 for a long time and it has been painless. Only issue is it can't handle HEVC content without major stuttering.

There's no hardware support for HEVC decoding on Raspberry Pi so it'll still be decoded in software.

I haven't tried it myself as I stick to H.264 codecs myself as they have support int he hardware of the device.

The faster processor with a slight overclock may help but can't offer any first hand experience I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭breadmond

I tried Libreelec on the pi3 when it first came out and found kodi to be very sluggish when navigating menus etc. Is it any better now or did I do something wrong in my setup? I've got an nvidia shield with stbemu now and the pi has been relegated to pihole duty but I still wonder if I did something wrong as I see people recommend the pi for a HTPC all the time

breadmond wrote: »
    I tried Libreelec on the pi3 when it first came out and found kodi to be very sluggish when navigating menus etc. Is it any better now or did I do something wrong in my setup? I've got an nvidia shield with stbemu now and the pi has been relegated to pihole duty but I still wonder if I did something wrong as I see people recommend the pi for a HTPC all the time

It's always been fine for me.

I find that some images can be slower than others. Have you tried it with LibreElec?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

breadmond wrote: »

It is most likely dependent on the skin you used and how much graphical information you want to show on screen.

The Pi series are low powered devices and cognisance needs to be taken of that when deciding on what you want displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I've been using Kodi on various Pii's for years and have stuck with the "Amber" skin over Confluence and now Estuary. Its very fast and easy to navigate.
    I particularly like the home screen which you can have several rows of movies/tv shows etc displayed at once at full screen width

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

Anyone know about how much it would cost to make one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

SeamusFX wrote: »
    Anyone know about how much it would cost to make one of these?

I moved from R-Pi to cheap Android AMLogic Android devices recently (about €40 including case & PSU etc.) and dual boot Android with CoreELEC which is on SD card.
    It comes rooted and I upgraded Kodi to latest release.

CoreELEC used the Kodi Leia Alpha, and now Beta releases, and will have the Leia release as soon as it is available.

For my use-case (exclusively Kodi media player) the Android device is much cheaper.
    Of course not all such devices will work equally well, so care has to be taken to purchase the more compatible device.

Advertisement