Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing birth/ baptism record

Options
  • 12-05-2018 11:30pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thomas Dowdall and Mary Murray of Lower Palmerstown have ten children between 1846 and 1868. I have found birth or baptism records for all but one of them - James Dowdall who married Anne Neville in St. Paul's, Arran Quay in 1885.

I wonder would anyone be kind enough to check Roots for me on the off chance there's a transcript there for James's birth or baptism.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Nothing - sorry!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thanks Pinky.

I've still to scroll through a few more parish registers but it looks like he was missed for some reason.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Can't find anything, even trying all sorts of bad spellings.

Yeah, he just doesn't want to be found, does he?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

You've got his marriage though. I am usually a bit more relaxed when I have them later in life.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Yes, I have civil and church marriage records which confirm his parents but I'm struggling to find his death record so his age would help.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Hi Hermy,

I had a similar situation before. My GG Grandmother had 10 children between 1877 and 1896 (dates are a bit different from yours though!)
    Like you, i have found birth records for all except one of these children (who is actually my g gradmother)

However, one of their children died, around the same time as the birth i am missing, so i reached a sort of hasty conclusion that they just didn't have time to have a baptism or register this child as they were burying another.
    Maybe there is a similar situation in your case?
    Also i know that the person whos record i cant find was born very ill and only barely made it, she almost died, lucky she didnt or i wouldnt be here today!!! . This could also be a factor as to why there is no record for her.

I am telling you this because you may find a similar situation to either!!
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

sometimes registration was overlooked at the time. Unless a birth cert was necessary for some purpose, some people didn't bother registering late as there was a penalty or else they fudged the date of birth.

I have found very late registrations - years later, with a note about a statutory declaration in relation to the date of birth.

The thing to remember is that the civil record reference refers to the year of registration, and not the year of birth. This happens frequently where, for example a child is born in December of one year and is registered in January of the next year. While the year of birth may be 1866, the civil registration reference year is 1867 [or whatever....].

So it might be worth tracking later births for everyone of that name if you can't find the record in the known year of birth.

The children are all born two years or three years apart except for a five year gap between 1858 and 1863 so, as he was of full age when he married in 1885, I'm going to assume that he was born around about 1860.
    Not perfect but it's the best I can do for now.

Thanks for all the replies.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement