Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim card for tracker

Options
  • 12-05-2018 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I ordered a tracking device and I also purchased a GiffGaff sim card. I couldn't get the data to work. It turns out that the data roaming needed to be turned on. The won't turn it on for non uk residents.

Is there a reasonable provider that offers cheap data that works with a 2g network?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭Genghis

Take a look at Lyca Mobile Data XS plan. €4.99 a month, you can set auto top up. 3GB should be plenty.

I have this in a car tracker and it works very well. It took a while to start working (as in 20 mins of messing around).

With any SIM you will need to activate it in a phone before you put it into a tracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭Genghis

Sorry seeing you say 2G. I have mine in a 3G tracker (I think). So it may not work in 2G only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

They may be 2g...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lycamobile#Coverage

I'll ask them to make sure

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

How important is tracking this item? If you want it to reliably work then get a 3G capable unit as Three never built their own 2G net instead rented it then purchased o2. o2 assets will not be maintained and thus the 2G footprint may be patchy as 3G supplants it anyways.

Id also expect a refarm movement to start here soon, brits are already at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Hey ED E,

I'm on the hunt for a better device for sure. Its my kids that I'm tracking :) We are going abroad and I'd like them to have something as a just in case.

Amazon doesn't have anything really good from my searches.

• Advertisement
Advertisement