Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does Irish car insurance work?

Options
  • 11-05-2018 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I recently got insured on my first car, a 1.6l Diesel 2010 Ford Fiesta for €3,200 through AXA. I’m 21 years old and I’ve been getting quotes for months now on older cars like Nissan Micras, Renault Clios and Opel Corsa’s because I thought it would be better to start off in one of them and was getting results upwards of €4,500. I’ve been driving around for a couple months now and today I was bored and thought I’d get some more quotes on cars I’d think of buying in the future. The first one I put in was a 1.4l 2010 Toyota Corolla (saloon) and I was shocked, getting a result of €9,000! I’ve been scratching my head wondering how the car insurance works in this country so I thought I’d post on here. Does it go by the age of the car? Does it go by the body type? Does it go by the manufacturer? Can someone explain this for me?

I’d like to add that I’ve been looking at Corolla’s in general for the last couple of years and one of my first quotes through AXA was also €9,000 for a 1994 model.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Unfortunately the fact your 21 with little driving experience is to blame here. You are an adult but not in the eyes of insurance companies.
    Toyota Corollas are known boy racer cars so I wouldnt touch one of those if i was 21 years of age.
    A renault clio or something along those lines is what you should be looking at.
    Certain cars have certain risk categories attached to them. And the higher the engine size the more the insurance because the potential to drive faster and cause more damage. Keep low on engine size and nothing with "sport" in its name. And dont go near Honda civics, toyota corollas, golfs, starlets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I’ve been scratching my head wondering how the car insurance works in this country so I thought I’d post on here. Does it go by the age of the car? Does it go by the body type? Does it go by the manufacturer? Can someone explain this for me?

I don't think anybody actually really knows :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

The general rule is the smaller the engine, the cheaper the quote but it's not purely based on that. Quotes are based on an insurers claims history of that vehicle so if they had a lot of young drivers involved in accidents in a particular model then they will rate it higher.

A younger car is normally better, not necessarily because you will get a cheaper quote but because more companies are likely to quote for you. And the more companies are quoting the more likely you are to find one to quote cheaper.

Try adding your parents to your policy, quite often this will reduce your quote (but not always)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I have been actively looking for insurance for Mrs.O in the past week. She has been driving for over 27 years,No claims,PP's endorsements or ful all. She had her own policy in the past but got a job where she was included in a fleet policy so all her ncb's died. Luckily I kept her as a named driver on my cars.
    151 E300 H.
    Quotes range from €2.5 k to € 750. Some,even my own crowd who she has been a named driver with for 4 years refused to quote !.
    The end line is NOBODY KNOWS HOW THEY OPPERATE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

1RUO.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement