Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere in Sligo do Summer Swimming Lessons for Kids?

Options
  • 11-05-2018 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi, does anyone know of anywhere in Sligo that runs swimming lessons for kids during the summer holiday months? I've checked a few places but had no luck so far. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Try the Clayton, in Ballytivnan, they have a range of classes every Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Waterpoint in Enniscrone run classes all year round and swimming camps during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭T-Bird

rizzodun wrote: »
    Try the Clayton, in Ballytivnan, they have a range of classes every Sunday.

+1 They have lessons every day for different ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

PM Sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Jenmckm

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll get contacting those places on Monday for info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Meanman

Avena Leisure in Ballisodare definitely do classes during the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Hombre Lobo

Was also going to mention Avena Leisure as above. It could be fully booked though. Avena also do children's lessons all year round. Usually on Tuesday's and Saturday morning.

Radisson Blu in Ballincar may do so as well.

Avena sounds promising, and not too far away. I'll check that out too. Thank you!

Just a quick question on Avena Leisure Centre - can anyone tell me whether there is a seating area there at all so parents can keep an eye on kids during lessons (my kids are quite young so I'd like to be nearby for my own peace of mind) :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 aine100

Ring The Southern Hotel and ask to be put through to the leisure center. They might have Summer lessons.

• Advertisement

Jenmckm wrote: »
    Just a quick question on Avena Leisure Centre - can anyone tell me whether there is a seating area there at all so parents can keep an eye on kids during lessons (my kids are quite young so I'd like to be nearby for my own peace of mind) :-)

There's a seat at reception that overlooks the pool, I've seen parents seated there while their kids were in having a lesson, but from what I can remember it was just the one seat :o

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Swimming classes for kids takes place during the summer at Aughris pier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Jen,

There's two tables right by the window into the pool area in reception that you can sit at, about 6 seats, plenty of space, my 6 year old goes every Sunday, and has been for a while now.

Thanks everyone, I've looked into all the options above & I think either Avena or Club Vitae at the Clayton might suit. Could anyone suggest which would have better facilities (eg pool, changing rooms & ability to keep an eye on the kids etc). I don't swim so am not really able to go & take a look (and this is also why I'm determined for the kids to learn to swim)!

FirstinLastout - would that be a series of outdoor lessons at Aughris pier?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Look up Sligo Water Safety on FB. Details there about Aughris etc.

Thanks everyone, I've looked into all the options above & I think either Avena or Club Vitae at the Clayton might suit. Could anyone suggest which would have better facilities (eg pool, changing rooms & ability to keep an eye on the kids etc). I don't swim so am not really able to go & take a look (and this is also why I'm determined for the kids to learn to swim)!

FirstinLastout - would that be a series of outdoor lessons at Aughris pier?

I can only speak for Avena but it's got a good clean pool which is at a constant depth, so no shallow / deep end, it's all the same. Facilities are well looked after and kept clean too. The changing facilities has about 40 lockers that are €1 coin operated. Four shower cubicles and toilets. You can definitely keep an eye on the kids at the front of reception. I can't say how busy it gets there if it's kids in a group session though as I avoid the pool during those times.

It's also never too late for yourself to join in and get lessons too. I've seen people of all ages and abilities getting lessons there. I've even had several lessons when I returned to it a number of years back and again when I was more competent.

I would imagine Clayton is probably similar. You could probably always pop in to either and have a look for yourself, chat to the staff at the desk.

I can only speak for Avena but it's got a good clean pool which is at a constant depth, so no shallow / deep end, it's all the same. Facilities are well looked after and kept clean too. The changing facilities has about 40 lockers that are €1 coin operated. Four shower cubicles and toilets. You can definitely keep an eye on the kids at the front of reception. I can't say how busy it gets there if it's kids in a group session though as I avoid the pool during those times.

It's also never too late for yourself to join in and get lessons too. I've seen people of all ages and abilities getting lessons there. I've even had several lessons when I returned to it a number of years back and again when I was more competent.

I would imagine Clayton is probably similar. You could probably always pop in to either and have a look for yourself, chat to the staff at the desk.

Thank you, that sounds very reassuring with regards the Avena and I like the idea that the pool doesn't run from shallow to deep, and that I can keep an eye on the kids too. So I'll maybe drop into the Clayton to get a feel for how they compare :)

Pete M. wrote: »
    Look up Sligo Water Safety on FB. Details there about Aughris etc.

Thanks Pete M, I had a look at the Sligo Water Safety page. That looks like a great option maybe for after the kids get some indoor pool experience and have built up a bit of confidence in the water I think.

Advertisement