Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering Import bike wit no Log Book

Options
  • 11-05-2018 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a quick question on registering an imported bike to get an Irish log book so it can be taxed etc.

I know there are threads out there for normal process of bringing documents etc. to the VRT office at the NCT centre but this one is slightly different so let me explain.

My uncle bought a project bike at the vintage motorcycle show in the National show centre last weekend. Not a bad little project bike just a non runner with coil issue, a Kawasaki 125 Eliminator, 1999, originally from Belgium but has no documents. The guy had the keys and is well known at the shows and had other bikes for sale so no major reason to suspect it is stolen. We also have his reg number etc. just in case there are any issues

Question is how does my uncle go about registering the bike in Ireland without any documents? We got the seller to sign a piece of paper with details of the sale: Make and model of bike, year of bike, VIN number and Engine number, date of sale and name of seller and it is dated and signed by both seller and my uncle.

I assume he will need more documents etc., any help would be great

No rush as we are still trying to get it started even after sorting out the coil issue :D

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The best and only way I've ever imported vehicles (I've only gone as far as the UK) was to bring the foreign paperwork with you to register the bike. I don't know if the NCT will make those approaches to the Belgian authorities.

For the kind of bike it is, there's must be a limit to the hassle this thing can eat before it's just not worth it, right? I mean this one is €1250 The first thing I'd try is to find a frame with an Irish book from a breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

cantdecide wrote: »
    The best and only way I've ever imported vehicles (I've only gone as far as the UK) was to bring the foreign paperwork with you to register the bike. I don't know if the NCT will make those approaches to the Belgian authorities.

For the kind of bike it is, there's must be a limit to the hassle this thing can eat before it's just not worth it, right? I mean this one is €1250 The first thing I'd try is to find a frame with an Irish book from a breaker.

Agree, he only paid 190 euro for it :D

Yes we are looking at getting a frame with paperwork and just transferring the stuff over as it might be easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Agree, he only paid 190 euro for it :D

Yes we are looking at getting a frame with paperwork and just transferring the stuff over as it might be easier.

Call JT motorcycles in Kinsale. He breaks piles of stuff like that that he doesn't doesn't advertise. He'd be my first call.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

cantdecide wrote: »
    Call JT motorcycles in Kinsale. He breaks piles of stuff like that that he doesn't doesn't advertise. He'd be my first call.

I did something like that once, a long long time ago. Bought a crashed H100S, with bent headstock.

Bought a brand new, Honda frame from Dave Silver Spares...for £30.
    You wouldn't even paint the old one for that, and I had it all swopped over in a leisurely weekend.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement