Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re plumb a 1970s bungalow

Options
  • 10-05-2018 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi folks, so here's the story. We have bought a four bed 1970 detached bungalow out the country. It needs to be re plumbed. In short the pipes need to be buried, we want an indoor boiler, current one is in the garage), zoned heating and new rads in every room and we want the hotpress moved.

I know it's impossible to tell exactly but, ball park, what sort of figure should I be expecting here? We had a lad out to look at it and got his quote back today and it came in at €12,500 (inclusive of VAT)! Nearly fell out of my standing! Is it me or him that's being unrealistic here?!

The list of stuff is:

26k Grant Vortex Boiler
    Walrus Booster Pump
    300lt cylinder
    3 zone heat control pack
    Rads
    2 towel rads

And then of course labour on top.

Thanks in advance folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Hi folks, so here's the story. We have bought a four bed 1970 detached bungalow out the country. It needs to be re plumbed. In short the pipes need to be buried, we want an indoor boiler, current one is in the garage), zoned heating and new rads in every room and we want the hotpress moved.

I know it's impossible to tell exactly but, ball park, what sort of figure should I be expecting here? We had a lad out to look at it and got his quote back today and it came in at €12,500 (inclusive of VAT)! Nearly fell out of my standing! Is it me or him that's being unrealistic here?!

The list of stuff is:

26k Grant Vortex Boiler
    Walrus Booster Pump
    300lt cylinder
    3 zone heat control pack
    Rads
    2 towel rads

And then of course labour on top.

Thanks in advance folks

Does that include re plumbing bathrooms?
    But for heating alone with new hot press it seems a bit cheap if anything. If you’re getting quotes much cheaper than that then there’s serious corners being cut. I’m assuming you have 10-13 rads btw

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dufferlover

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Does that include re plumbing bathrooms?
    But for heating alone with new hot press it seems a bit cheap if anything. If you’re getting quotes much cheaper than that then there’s serious corners being cut. I’m assuming you have 10-13 rads btw

Thanks for the response! Yea we have to move the bath and the toilet in the bathroom. Thank God for contingency funds! I had no idea what sort of a price to expect. That's only the first quote we got but we are expecting the rest back tomorrow. Have four more to get.

When we initially budgeted we had no idea that we would need to re-plumb. We would get away with leaving it but there's zero point in renovating a whole house, making it in to our forever home and not upgrading the heating system!

Thanks again.

Advertisement