Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gill netting results 2018

Options
  • 10-05-2018 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭

Under FOI requests xxxxx xxxxx obtained numbers and sizes of pike caught in gill nets earlier this year. Early this year IFI gave details of their gill netting operations and target numbers.
    Mask target 700 - caught 452
    Corrib target 800 - caught 397
    Cullin target 200 - caught 192
    Conn target 400 - caught 428
    Carra target 300 - caught 260
    Arrow target 170 - caught 72

Thats nearly 1800 pike killed and god knows whatever else they killed in them nets this year. Its an absolute disgrace, the IFI arent fit for purpose, They always have plenty of funds and staff for gillnetting. But anytime ive ever rang them regarding poaching going on theres no one around. Why cant they relocate them fish?? Is it out of laziness, funds or they IFI personal that are doing the gillnetting are all trout men and have a hatred of pike.. im going with the latter. Boils my blood what they get away. I wonder how many trout will be knocked on the head in catch and kill comps or as they like to call it now "sustainable fishing competitions"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

in fairness, 1800 is just a drop in the ocean, compared to what Minister Sean Kyne wants to introduce. On the 7 lakes, any angler can take 4 pike of any size per day. Freezers of pike will one again be on the way to mainland Europe. How can the 2006 bye-laws be enforced now? Can't people just say they caught the pike on one of those lakes?
    I'm honestly lost for words.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/natural-resources/consultations/Pages/Public-Consultations-Designated-Salmonid-Waters-Bye-Law-2018.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭malinheader

I would love to see the totals for other fish they killed while gill netting for pike. What a backward stupid way of working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I would love to see the totals for other fish they killed while gill netting for pike. What a backward stupid way of working.

Id multiply it by 10 or so going by the results of the netting of sheelin last year. I think they killed around 120 pike and 1400 coarse fish on sheelin.

in fairness, 1800 is just a drop in the ocean, compared to what Minister Sean Kyne wants to introduce. On the 7 lakes, any angler can take 4 pike of any size per day. Freezers of pike will one again be on the way to mainland Europe. How can the 2006 bye-laws be enforced now? Can't people just say they caught the pike on one of those lakes?
    I'm honestly lost for words.

You'd be doing well to catch 4 a day on them lakes. They held a pike comp on boats,last year and i think they caught 18 pike between them. I knew a few lads that entered it and they'd be very capable anglers. If they think Eastern Europeans are suddenly gonna flood the lakes and take all the pike and throw the trout they catch back in, they'd be hugely mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭malinheader

Id multiply it by 10 or so going by the results of the netting of sheelin last year. I think they killed around 120 pike and 1400 coarse fish on sheelin.

Total madness. There worse than poachers using that approach.

• Advertisement

You'd be doing well to catch 4 a day on them lakes. They held a pike comp on boats,last year and i think they caught 18 pike between them. I knew a few lads that entered it and they'd be very capable anglers. If they think Eastern Europeans are suddenly gonna flood the lakes and take all the pike and throw the trout they catch back in, they'd be hugely mistaken.

depends on the day, I've had some cracking days on corrib (pike and trout), and days were the lake looks devoid of life! If these laws go through though, I think I'll be spending more time on Ree and Derg, and if I'm honest, I think thats what some of the trout lads really want, the lake to them selves, without being bothered by pike "fishers". There is a suggestion to only allow fishing on the lakes during the trout season. Total madness.

depends on the day, I've had some cracking days on corrib (pike and trout), and days were the lake looks devoid of life! If these laws go through though, I think I'll be spending more time on Ree and Derg, and if I'm honest, I think thats what some of the trout lads really want, the lake to them selves, without being bothered by pike "fishers". There is a suggestion to only allow fishing on the lakes during the trout season. Total madness.

The local community are the ones that are losing out in the long run, They could be doing business all year round instead of 6 months of the year. Well at least the knuckle draggers are dying breed anyway, going by the age of the people at their " save the trout " campaigns, I know a few young fly fishermen and they'd have no interest in gill nets. And a few would fish for pike themselves.

yea, the lads calling for the pike culls are mainly the older lads, that only fish for trout/salmon. I do a lot of pike fishing with a guy that mainly fishes for trout and salmon in the winter. We often talk about the gill netting, it drives him nuts.

I've half an email written on behalf of myself and our club in opposition to them. It will be sent out to many people, including my local FG TD, explaining that I will not be voting for FG in the future again (I have in the past) if this passes, as its pure parish pump politics stunt that would expect the Healy Rae's to pull. Why would anybody vote for a major political party, when the parish pump is king?

It will also be going to the B&B in Headford where myself and few lads in the club used to stay in when we would fish corrib, explaining our potential absence.

Thats always the way in Ireland, look at Micheal lowry whos still a TD. He took 100's of thousands in bribes and yet hes still in the Dail. I meet salmon lads from cork on the shannon last year fishing for pike, as they'd a pain in their arse with salmon. Between the cost and getting very little for the return, They decided to " go over to the dark side" as they called it. Its funny when you here lads, who would have looked down their nose on pike years ago, give out about foreigners killed them.

lol, the dark side! In fairness I said the same after starting fly fishing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement