Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will my principal give me a bad reference?

Options
  • 09-05-2018 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I’m coming to the end of my PME and I’m worried that my principal will give me a bad reference. The school is tiny and I’m under the impression that they don’t get student teachers very often. Ive undertaken extra duties whilst in the school such as supervision’s, yard duty and learning support (unpaid) but that doesn’t seem to be enough for the school. I’m on a busy time table as it is with college and I’m seriously worried that the principal will give me a bad reference. Should I take the principal off my cv as a reference? But I’ve heard that principals in hiring schools will always contact the school you did your teaching practice so that quite frankly scares the **** out of me and I’m afraid I won’t get a job now. I haven’t done anything out of the way, but the overall attitude towards me appears to be one of dislike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Tacadh wrote: »
    I’m coming to the end of my PME and I’m worried that my principal will give me a bad reference. The school is tiny and I’m under the impression that they don’t get student teachers very often. Ive undertaken extra duties whilst in the school such as supervision’s, yard duty and learning support (unpaid) but that doesn’t seem to be enough for the school. I’m on a busy time table as it is with college and I’m seriously worried that the principal will give me a bad reference. Should I take the principal off my cv as a reference? But I’ve heard that principals in hiring schools will always contact the school you did your teaching practice so that quite frankly scares the **** out of me and I’m afraid I won’t get a job now. I haven’t done anything out of the way, but the overall attitude towards me appears to be one of dislike.

Why do you think you're disliked by principal? Has he/she said something? After reading all of the above, you're doing the same as any teacher would (with exception of college) - if the principal wasn't happy, you'd be gone long ago - he/she is under no obligation to keep you in the school as you're a PME. From my reading, it appears that you think you're work is being overlooked- it probably isn't - just don't think it will be acknowledged all the time. It will be in your reference. I wouldn't take principal off your CV - they will be contacted by prospective employers anyway. Don't stress - you've done your two years - go enjoy the summer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Unpaid learning support? Not the first time I've heard of PME students being given unpaid full timetables unfortunately.

I don't know what has led to your belief that you won't get a good reference. I have found over the years the stand offish type principals are often the best judge of the teacher, if that's what yours is like. Sometimes the overly nice principal will be the one that stabs you in the back. Stay positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Unpaid learning support? Not the first time I've heard of PME students being given unpaid full timetables unfortunately.

I don't know what has led to your belief that you won't get a good reference. I have found over the years the stand offish type principals are often the best judge of the teacher, if that's what yours is like. Sometimes the overly nice principal will be the one that stabs you in the back. Stay positive.

Yes I 100% agree with this. I worked for a 'lovely, friendly principal' as I thought at the time but was stabbed in the back big time. I have worked for principals whom I rarely see and have got fantastic references.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Yes I 100% agree with this. I worked for a 'lovely, friendly principal' as I thought at the time but was stabbed in the back big time. I have worked for principals whom I rarely see and have got fantastic references.

I'm the same. I got on so well with my principal that when I tried to get a full time job somewhere else I got an awful reference over the phone (have my sources!). Same happened to another teacher in my school (she ended up getting the job and the new principal told her what had happened). So I wouldn't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Can you out deputy down? I've done that in the past when I felt more of a rapport with deputy or when in a big school and the principal wouldn't have known me from Adam and the deputy was the main go to person

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Can you out deputy down? I've done that in the past when I felt more of a rapport with deputy or when in a big school and the principal wouldn't have known me from Adam and the deputy was the main go to person

That'd be fine imo but make sure to say that in any interview

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

That's exactly what I had to do after one school. I had to say I had more contact with the DP. And the interviewing principal went out of his way to tell me what a brilliant reference I had received from the deputy.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭LaLa2004

Perhaps you could work on your self confidence. Letting your perception of what that principal may or may not think, get you down is not productive. Exuding an air of quiet self confidence in teaching is a great skill to develop, both in the staffroom & the classroom. You have got great experience & put in a lot of work in that school. Use it to get good hours next year!

Advertisement