Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

driving alone pre-getting actual N licence

Options
  • 09-05-2018 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭

Having passed test, can candidate drive alone before he gets actual Novice licence (if that's the right term) into his hand - 1 month til next appointment is available!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's a full license. You only have to put up N for 2 years on front and rear.

You can drive once you have your license in your possession.

You can go straight into ndls you don't need an appointment but go in at opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Thanks - can't make early morning - if we turn up at 4 do you think we will be processed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

The centres close at 5 so 4 might be cutting it a bit short. I did a walk in recently and was waiting about 45 minutes. So if you went around 3 there should be plenty of time.

Yes, but if you're in, would they turf you out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Yes, but if you're in, would they turf you out?

Would seem so

http://www.thejournal.ie/driving-centre-wait-3943652-Apr2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

Congratulations :D

In some NLDS centres perhaps all you have to book if you want a Saturday appointment. If you can go there on a weekday go in early as possible. Also, you cannot drive unaccompanied on a certificate of competency. I'd say wait at least until you have the receipt from the NLDS centre, your license when you get it will be back-dated to that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

what a system! This should be an automatic process.

Even more ridiculous - the paper application form for driving licence says 'from 9th april 2018, a Public Services Card is required to be presented ..... No other form of photo ID is acceptable'.
    The NDLS website says:
    From the 9 April if you bring your Public Services Card (PSC) to the NDLS it will simplify your application process. An applicant will have two options to validate their identity and residency during the application process.

1. Presenting a PSC at the NDLS centre will simplify your application process as the PSC will satisfy the following requirements:

2. If you do not have a PSC you are required to present documentation at NDLS centre to satisfy the following requirements:

So does he / does he not need to get a PSC first? He didn't need one up to now.

I have emailed them to ask the question but I'm sure I'll be days waiting on an answer ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement

Brilliant - thanks so much for that!

And even better - just got a slot now for next week (obviously a cancellation )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

You can drive around no bother. Keep the certificate of competency in your car. If you get stopped by a garda show him that and say you're waiting on your appointment at the NDLS, he'll just wave you on. After you hand in the certificate of competency to get your license it won't matter if you get stopped by the gardaí, just say your license is in the post and they'll most likely wave you on. If you get a particularly enthusiastic garda up from Templemore they'll make a note of your plates and you'll have ten days to present yourself and your license to the nearest garda station. After ten days in theory they'll call to your address, but in reality after ten days the file will be deleted. in order for them to actually call to your door there would have to be at least three enthusiastic gardaí operating in succession, which is a statistically impossible event, it never actually happens.

That's exactly what my newly 'certified' son told me but I wanted to be extra sure - and for him to be extra careful!

Final chapter - managed to get appt for next week but went down today at 4pm anyway - was processed by 4.25pm! Have cancelled next week's appt naturally so someone else will be happy. Staff member said not to drive unaccompanied til licence is received 5-8 working days.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

cgcsb wrote: »
    You can drive around no bother. Keep the certificate of competency in your car. If you get stopped by a garda show him that and say you're waiting on your appointment at the NDLS, he'll just wave you on. After you hand in the certificate of competency to get your license it won't matter if you get stopped by the gardaí, just say your license is in the post and they'll most likely wave you on. If you get a particularly enthusiastic garda up from Templemore they'll make a note of your plates and you'll have ten days to present yourself and your license to the nearest garda station. After ten days in theory they'll call to your address, but in reality after ten days the file will be deleted. in order for them to actually call to your door there would have to be at least three enthusiastic gardaí operating in succession, which is a statistically impossible event, it never actually happens.

The problem with this advice is yes many do and usually get away but one still doesn't have a license.

So you can be done.

Advertisement