Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st scan at 6 weeks 6 days

Options
  • 09-05-2018 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hello,

I am 6 weeks pregnant and meeting my consultant next week when I'll be 6 weeks and 6 days for a scan for the 1st time, just wondering what to expect as it's quite early but he sees his patients at 7 weeks so it's just the way the clinic works out that I'll be just short of that.

Had a scan at 8 weeks on my little boy and saw plenty but worried this one might be internal?

Would appreciate any advise - much more nervous 2nd time around!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I would say it will be internal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I had a scan on my first two pregnancies at around that gestation, I thought I was in the 7th week but was dated a few days behind so ended up being 6+3 and 6+6.

Both of mine were abdominal, other people have to have internal at that stage. We heard and saw the heartbeat and got pictures to take home. Baby is really like a little blob on the screen but you get the idea and it’s very reassuring!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

I had a scan at 6w1d and Dr said i was measurinf 6w5d at the time and could see heartbeat. Tiny blob but visible on standard ultrasound and no need for internal. Try not to worry if an internal scan is needed, all that matters is that you get to see your baby :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

On my last baby, I had one at 6+2. It was internal and too early to see a heartbeat, but they saw the blob that’s the baby and the blob that’s the yolk sac.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If it's Michael id say it won't be an internal. I had one at 7 weeks with him too and it was an abdominal one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I did a dating scan on both mine due to irregular /
    Long cycles. When I was 8 weeks by dates both were only 6 plus 5. Both internal scans but no issues measuring or finding the heartbeat

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kk2014

andreac wrote: »
    If it's Michael id say it won't be an internal. I had one at 7 weeks with him too and it was an abdominal one.

Brilliant - thanks so much andreac. Yes it's with Michael next Monday, his secretary said to have a full bladder so I was thinking it would be abdominal but Dr Google had me freaked out! Thanks a million, I am excited now!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kk2014

Thanks so much everyone, all that matters is that I see our little blob hopefully - my husband can't get the time off work so I'm going on my own. Feeling nervous and excited (and tired and nauseous!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Best of luck with it kk2014!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

I had a scan at 5 weeks and 4 days and it was abdominal. They could see the yolk sac with a 3mm baby within and say all was progressing well. No heartbeat but it was too early to see that. This was Holles St in the middle of the night because I had some bleeding, which thankfully turned out to be nothing. Went back at 8 weeks for the next one and heartbeat evident then on abdominal scan.
    They usually try abdominal first and then internal if they can't see. I have had an internal one previously and they really aren't that bad so try not to worry, you won't care if you see a healthy baby :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ah yes then it's abdominal. Just drink a bit of water on your way and when you get there. I made a mistake of drinking too much before one appt and there were a few ahead of me and I was bursting by time it got to my turn lol.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Just to say - internal scans are grand! I've had several and you get lots of detail. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭br2015

Thanks everyone- I did have to have an internal as my belly is literally the size of a 6 month bump so if was hard to get a good luck. Everything was so clear on the internal and it was grand, I was afraid it was gonna be like a smear! Baby measuring a day or two ahead with a good heartbeat so that's the most important thing. Thanks a million!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Lovely news! Delighted for you.

Advertisement